We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative Communications Manager to play a vital role in our growing team at an exciting time in its development.
As our communications lead, you will increase our reach and impact through CIWEM’s digital channels including our newly developed website, social media accounts and email marketing campaigns. You will develop our use of engaging video and audio content and ensure that our global reach is monitored and evaluated.
As a skilled web editor, you will review and edit blogs, op-eds and all externally facing content in line with CIWEM’s style guide. You will coordinate all press and media interaction, increasing our reputation as a go-to voice on environmental issues. You’ll also support the events team in the promotion and delivery of world-class events.
Reporting to the Head of Events, you will work across our organisation to enhance our brand, develop our ‘comms hub’ and streamline our processes. You will have the opportunity to take a lead role in the development and implementation of CIWEM’s external affairs strategy.
CIWEM represents and supports a community of thousands of members and organisations in over 89 countries who are dedicated to improving water and environmental management for the benefit of the public.
The post holder will be a self-starter with a flexible approach and excellent organisational skills. You will thrive working as part of a close-knit team in a busy, fast-paced office and have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written. You will have a working knowledge of the MS Office suite and ideally experience with design software, such as InDesign.
Our ideal candidate is someone with a keen interest and passion for the environment, with an ambition to use their professional skills to increase awareness of environmental challenges and communicate to a broad audience.
- Management of CIWEM’s website editing and optimising copy and image, ensuring our homepage content is engaging and relevant.
- Work with colleagues to optimise the design, structure and messaging of the CIWEM website.
- Edit and approve web content and marketing emails developed by other departments, ensuring consistency of content.
- Coordinate, edit and disseminate blogs.
- Oversee all design work, ensuring that all CIWEM outputs meet brand and style guidelines.
- Generate and distribute digital email campaigns to support CIWEM’s activities across departments.
- Compile and edit CIWEM’s monthly E-Newsletter.
- Coordinate the production and dissemination of CIWEM’s digital annual report.
- Manage CIWEM’s social media accounts including LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, generating regular and engaging social media content and campaigns.
- Provide guidance and policy for organisational social media activities
- Develop CIWEM’s use of multimedia, including video and podcasts
- Enhance CIWEM’s use of webinars, livestreaming and interactive events tools to increase the accessibility of our events programmes.
- Monitor CIWEM website and social media reach, working with colleagues to maximise our global impact.
- Write and distribute press releases to raise the public, member and media profile of the institution via press monitoring software and the CIWEM website.
- Develop and maintain close working links with the press to generate publicity and exposure in online, print and TV coverage at regional, national and international levels.
- Act as the first point of contact for enquiries, both proactively and reactively building CIWEM’s reputation as a reliable source of information and expertise on water and environment issues.
- Build and maintain an effective network of CIWEM spokespeople from the CIWEM membership base.
- Monitor CIWEM’s media coverage and develop future strategy.
- Lead CIWEM’s ‘comms hub’ ensuring that colleagues across the organisation develop their communications skills and feed into externally facing projects.
- Coordinate and deliver CIWEM’s engagement plans around major external hooks and events related to the environment.
- Take a lead role in the planning and delivery of CIWEM’s awards including Environmental Photographer of the Year Award and UK Junior Water Prize.
- Engage with our branches, networks and specialist panels to increase the visibility and reach of their activities.
- Work closely with CIWEM’s policy team to enhance our engagement with policymakers.
- Act as main point of contact for internal comms, running initiatives such as ‘tea & talk’s’.
- Be an active team player, supporting other departments at peak times and willingness to travel overseas when appropriate.
- At least five years’ experience in a communications position covering digital, media and events.
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Demonstrable website management experience.
- Previous responsibility for an organisation’s social media accounts.
- A thorough understanding of media, including experience of writing press releases and liaising with journalists.
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to work independently and engage effectively within a team as well as networking and promoting CIWEM externally.
- Able to cope well under pressure and work independently.
- Ability to write different styles of copy, understand technical content and make this accessible to a wider audience.
- Experience of monitoring press and social media coverage.
- While there is no immediate line management responsibility, experience in this area would be beneficial.
- Experience using design software such as InDesign.
- Experience of producing communications packages around major global moments.
- Experience of supporting the writing and delivery of a communications strategy.
- Experience of developing an effective Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning process.
- Interest in global environmental issues.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter by midnight on 20th October.
Due to receiving a large volume of applications, we can only provide feedback to successful applicants.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.