We are looking for a Business Development Manager with significant experience in Trusts, Foundation and Statutory Income to join our thriving Business Development Unit and play a leading role in securing new income for our growing organisation.
We are a legal and environmental charity that uses the power of the law to fight against climate change and to protect nature and the environment. Our Development Department is responsible for raising funds that enable us to deliver our mission. The Development department is formed of several fundraising strands: an established Grants programme, securing funding from trusts, foundations and institutional donors; a newly formed Digital Fundraising stream, raising income from the public; and a Philanthropy team, working with a wide range of individuals and organisations to raise primarily unrestricted gifts to support ClientEarth’s work.
In this role, you will be working across our programme areas and geographies to cultivate new funder relationships, developing winning proposals, and ensuring a growing and diverse funder base. As a representative of ClientEarth, you will be liaising and building relationships with funders internationally and will be the primary point of contact and key relationship manager for new donors. You will also have line management responsibility, overseeing the work and professional development of a Business Development Officer who is expected to both support the Manager with their accounts and lead on their own portfolio.
Meet your Manager
In this role, you will be managed by Catherine Sweeney, our Head of Business Development. Catherine has over a decade of experience driving income generation from Trust, Foundation, and institutional/ statutory sources, most recently leading the income stream at the British Refugee Council. Catherine started her fundraising career at an environmental/ sustainability social enterprise and has gone on to work in a wide range of sectors including international development in Kenya and human rights in the UK before returning to the environmental movement with ClientEarth in December 2020.
- Prospect research and pipeline development, including identifying and establishing new funding contacts, undertaking prospect research and representing ClientEarth at high-level events.
- Business Development and Income generation, including leading on aligning our priorities and budgetary needs with funders’ interests and criteria and establishing and leading proposal development teams, steering input into fundraising activities by colleagues/stakeholders.
- Staff Management, including defining individual work priorities, assessing the performance of line-managed staff members, and supporting the professional development of your line-report.
- Working with the Head of Business Development and other Business Development Managers to develop and implement the team’s strategy
- Systems and processes, including providing timely and accurate information on team performance metrics, and supporting the development and improvement of team systems and processes.
- Significant and demonstrable experience of working in a fundraising or business development role for a charity, NGO, private or public entity
- Significant experience of drafting complex proposals for trusts, foundations and statutory institutions (including EU) and securing multi-year, six and seven-figure grants
- Experience of successfully managing the relationship development process with a new donor, from prospect identification through to cultivation encompassing both personal engagement with prospects and/or coordinating the input of colleagues from across the organisation
- Fluent (CEFR level C2) in English
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, with ability to foster positive working relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders, including and especially with funders
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills
Salary ranges as follows:
- London: £40,800-£43,350 depending on experience
- Berlin: €46 920 - €50 490 depending on experience
- Brussels: €48 960 - €51 510 depending on experience
Please note we are also currently recruiting for a Business Development Officer.
Flexible working: Post-covid, we are giving our staff the choice to decide where they want to work for 80% of their week, with the other 20% of their week being office-based. See our Benefits page for more.
ClientEarth values diversity and inclusion and the benefits this brings. We aim to appoint the most suitable candidate at all times and welcome applications from people from all different backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from black, Asian, and minority ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are currently under-represented in our organisation.
Please note that ClientEarth is only able to employ those who have the pre-existing legal right to work in the UK/Germany/Belgium.