London, Greater London (Hybrid)
£44,500 - £48,000 per year
Permanent, Full-time
Job description

We are looking for an exceptional grant fundraiser with a passion for developing new relationships with trusts, foundations and other grant-giving bodies.

The role of Business Development Manager offers the opportunity to join a thriving team at an award-winning international environmental NGO during a critical decade for the planet.

Established in 2007, ClientEarth takes a unique approach to driving systemic change; we use the power of the law to fight climate change, tackle pollution, defend wildlife and protect people and planet. We have taken governments to court and won, stopped major polluting projects in their tracks, and have protected irreplaceable forests and rare creatures.

The role will suit someone who thrives in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment and is happiest when working collaboratively. You’ll work closely with our colleagues in the Grants Team who manage the grant reporting side of the job, so that you can get back to doing what you do best; facilitating the development of relationships between our world-leading legal specialists and the donors with the appetite to rise to the twin challenges of the climate and biodiversity crises.

After too many years suffering from a lack of philanthropic investment, the health of our planet is finally getting the attention it so urgently needs. To help us steward this increasing engagement, we don’t need you to have worked with a certain set of donors before. We need first-rate grant fundraising skills and a desire to deploy them to maximum effect with some of the biggest names in the global grant-making world.

Main Duties

  • Convening and facilitating game-changing conversations with some of the world’s largest and most-progressive grant-giving bodies
  • Leading on the proposal development and bid-writing process to secure long-term, six and seven-figure grant relationships
  • Driving the build, and ongoing management, of a prospect pipeline aligned to the organisation’s five year strategy, working with the support a dedicated Prospect Research Officer
  • Working with the Head of Business Development and a peer Business Development Manager to develop and implement the team’s strategy for entering new donor markets
  • Line managing a skilled Business Development Officer, providing support and coaching on their prospect portfolio and proposals
  • Contributing to continuously improving and enhancing the team’s ways of working, systems and process to drive performance

Role requirements

  • Strong project and stakeholder management skills to lead on the development of complex proposals for trusts, foundations and governmental grant-giving bodies
  • Ability to absorb specialist programmatic information and translate this into compelling written cases for support, that bring to life ClientEarth’s unique legal approach to tackling the critical challenges facing the planet – and all its inhabitants - today
  • Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, with the ability to foster positive working relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders
  • Flexibility and adaptability, with an strong drive for taking a collaborative approach to meeting business needs

Further Information

Pre-application informal chat: We are offering candidates for the role the chance to have an informal conversation to answer any initial questions you may have on the role. Should you wish to arrange a call, please click through to our careers site for further information.

Flexible working: Our flexible working policy allows our people the choice to decide to work from home in the country where their contract of employment is issued for 80% of their month, with the other 20% of their month being office-based

Travel: This role may require international travel at points to attend donor meetings and work with colleagues across our growing network of offices.

ClientEarth values diversity and inclusion and the benefits this brings. We aim to appoint the most suitable candidate at all times and welcome applications from people from all different backgrounds.

Please note that ClientEarth is only able to employ those who have the pre-existing legal right to work in the UK.

ClientEarth is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice or legal services to third parties.

More about ClientEarth

We are a non-profit using the power of the law to bring about end-to-end systemic change: informing, implementing and enforcing the law, drafti... Read more

Refreshed on: 06 July 2022
Closed date: 18 July 2022 at 23:59
Job ref: 595
Tags: Fundraising

The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.