We are a social mobility movement committed to ensuring that every young person experiences educational equity.
As an award-winning, fast-growing social enterprise our mission is to support young people from disadvantaged communities to identify and fulfil their potential. Working in partnership with schools, we deliver academic tutoring programmes that improve a pupil’s grades, confidence and independence so they can win places at top universities and on high level apprenticeships.
Having turned six years old in February 2020, we’re at an exciting stage of growth and have ambitious plans to scale our impact and reach. This coming academic year, we are supporting over 2500 pupils. Currently working across London, the South East, the West Midlands and the South , we are looking to thoughtfully scale our academic programmes into hard-to-reach deprivation areas; develop a primary strand to our work; and increase the impact of our programmes.
The West Midlands has been one of our key emerging hubs. Since 2016, we have developed partnerships and relationships across the region with schools, universities and collaborators. We are now looking for a leader to realise the region’s full potential.
We need an outgoing self-starter to drive our work in the West Midlands forward, making it a sustainable hub that delivers real social impact. As the public face of the organisation, you will be responsible for partnership development, profile raising and managing our programmes from volunteer recruitment all the way through to evaluation. This is an in at the deep end role and s/he will flourish in a small dynamic team with real influence in decision making.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Growing the West Midlands as a sustainable CoachBright region:
- Generating new school leads and securing programmes
- Generating income outside of school programmes
- Growing a strong and supportive network of schools, Multi-Academy Trusts (MATs), universities, corporate partners and others
- Ensuring retention of volunteer coaches (meeting minimum targets set termly)
Create a thriving community of social mobility advocates among university students and young professionals:
- Delivering recruitment strategy for South West programmes to meet termly targets
- Training volunteers in coaching and our pedagogy.
Oversee multiple in-school programmes across the West Midlands:
- Setting timelines for programme start and finish dates
- Communicating with school staff weekly to provide feedback following sessions
- Visiting schools to oversee quality. Programmes to include a mixture of Core Programme: University student volunteers coach pupils in Yr 9-13 and Peer to Peer Programme: Year 12 pupils coach pupils in Yr 7-10.
Programme Design and Delivery
- Contributing to the design of current workshops and creating new workshops when needed
- Running in-school and virtual workshops for groups of pupils (KS3-5) and facilitating university trips at the start and end of our programmes
Managing partnerships with West Midlands universities:
- Maintaining regular contact with relevant staff members in outreach and or/volunteering teams at each university
- Managing room bookings for events at university campuses
Line managing a team of Head Coaches:
- Delivering training for Head Coaches in the West Midlands
- Holding 1-1 appraisals to monitor performance and set actions
Embodying our values (humility, high expectations, serving the team, responsibility and resilience) and demonstrating commitment to our mission.
Essential characteristics and experience
- Passion for social mobility: we have big aims and are looking for those who share our desire to make education fairer in the UK so a person’s background does not determine their future.
- Relationship building and facilitating: this a public-facing role so you will love communicating and delivering workshops to groups as well as communicating our mission to a wide range of stakeholders (business leaders, senior members of MATs, universities etc.)
- Organisation: working in a fast paced young organisation you’ll be able to work between different programmes and workstreams.
- Resourcefulness: we’re a small, dedicated team - you must be a self-starter prepared for practical roles with lots of responsibility. A willingness to stay solution-focused with last minute challenges is a must!
- Young People: experience in a school or youth organisation as a facilitator.
- Flexibility: the role will occasionally involve working evenings & weekends
- Full clean driving licence: the role will involve substantial travel across the region visiting our partners.
- 2-3 years frontline experience working in a school or social sector for example as a teacher or workshop facilitator.
- Experience recruiting volunteers.
- Experience of working in a small team and working independently.
- Experience measuring and evaluating the impact of youth-based programmes.
- Experience of sales in an education context.
- Knowledge of programme design, pedagogy or coaching.
- Knowledge of UK university sector, including knowledge of the UCAS process.
- An opportunity to contribute to a young, exciting social enterprise with scope to input widely and take on new roles.
- Starting Salary: £23-27k per annum
- Annual Leave: 28 days pro rata
- Office space: initially working from home. Longer term to be based in our West Midlands Office (Birmingham City University).
- Training: we are a reflective organisation and keen to support your professional development. Opportunities include being matched with a mentor in the social sector and becoming an accredited Executive Coach
- Length: until end of July (extension dependent on performance and funding).
- Hours: Full Time
- Reporting to: National Programme Manager
- Responsible for: Region and its programmes
- Start Date: beginning of December (if possible).