We need an outgoing self-motivated person to enhance our work in the West Midlands.
At the forefront of the organisation, you will be responsible for maintaining partnerships, supporting tutors/coaches and delivering our programmes from volunteer recruitment and workshop delivery all the way through to evaluation. This is an “in-at-the-deep-end” role and you will flourish in a small dynamic team with real influence.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Contributing to the development of the WM region:
- Generating new school leads and securing programmes
- Supporting a strong and supportive network of schools, Multi-Academy Trusts (MATs), universities, corporate partners and others
- Ensuring retention of volunteer coaches (meeting minimum targets set termly)
- Maintaining relationships with coaches, pupils and teachers
Create a thriving community of social mobility advocates among university students and young professionals:
- Meeting recruitment targets for tutors/coaches across the region each term.
- Training volunteers in tutoring/coaching and our pedagogy.
Oversee multiple in-school and online programmes (university student led and peer to peer) across the West Midlands:
- Setting timelines for programme start and finish dates
- Communicating with school staff weekly to provide feedback after sessions
- Visiting schools to oversee quality.
- Managing and running online sessions.
Programme Design and Delivery:
- Contributing to the design of current workshops and creating new workshops when needed
- Running in-school or digital workshops for groups of pupils (KS3-5) and facilitating university trips at the start and end of our programmes
Line managing a team of Head Coaches:
- Delivering training for Head Coaches
- Holding 1-1 appraisals to monitor performance and set actions
Embodying our values (humility, high expectations, service, responsibility and resilience) and demonstrating commitment to our mission.
Essential characteristics and experience:
- Passion for social mobility: we have big aims and are looking for those who share our desire to make education fairer in the UK so a person’s background does not determine their future.
- Relationship building and facilitating: this a public-facing role so you will love delivering workshops to groups as well as communicating our mission to a wide range of stakeholders (businesses, senior members of MATs, universities etc.
- Organisation: working in a fast paced young organisation you’ll be able to work between different programmes and workstreams.
- Independence: this role requires you to work independently/alone from time to time in the office and/or from home
- Resourcefulness: we’re a small, dedicated team - you must be a self-starter prepared for practical roles with lots of responsibility. A willingness to stay solution-focused with last minute challenges is a must!
- Young People: experience in a school or youth organisation/working with young people.
- Flexibility: the role will occasionally involve working evenings & weekends
- Experience working with young people in a school or youth work setting.
- Experience recruiting volunteers.
- Experience measuring and evaluating impact
- Knowledge of programme design, pedagogy or tutoring/coaching.
- Knowledge of UK schools and UK university sector.
- An opportunity to contribute to a young, exciting social enterprise with scope to input widely and take on new roles.
- Starting Salary: £22k per annum • Annual Leave: 28 days pro rata
- Office space: West Midlands Office, Handsworth Wood Girls Academy, Church Lane, Handsworth, Birmingham B20 2HL
- Training: we are a reflective organisation and keen to support your professional development.
- Length: permanent
- Hours: Full Time
- Reporting to: Head of Region
- Responsible for: Individual Programmes
- Start Date: November 2021
How to Apply and Next Steps:
• Email Robin a CV and a cover letter of no more than 350 words by Friday 24th September. In the subject line, please mention
you are applying for the West Midlands Programme Officer role.
• Interviews will take place throughout the recruitment period and roles appointed so please do apply early