Specifications: Full Time
Application Closing Date: 23rd February 2020
This role is an exciting opportunity to make a difference in the field of health care research working as a Junior Systems Administrator.
The Junior Systems Administrator will support the smooth running of Cochrane’s infrastructure and systems, troubleshooting local and remote computers used by Cochrane Central Executive Team (CET) members (approx. 100 people). This role will also work with the rest of the Systems Administration team managing and maintaining our cloud infrastructure.
The career path for this position will include supporting the growth of the cloud servers’ area, so we are primarily looking for a candidate who has a genuine interest in learning and developing their professional knowledge and skills in working with cloud providers (Amazon AWS), Linux servers and Docker.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following activities:
- Provide frontline technical support locally at the London office and remotely to Cochrane Central Executive Team, investigating and troubleshooting issues efficiently communicating technical information where required in an accessible way to non-technical people.
- Maintain and monitor Cochrane CET IT infrastructure, including services as Office 365, Dropbox, Slack and others
- Manage and maintain Cochrane IT infrastructure, hosted on Amazon AWS, together with the rest of the Systems Administrator team, performing regular routine backup, maintenance and checks.
- Maintain operational, configuration, security, or other standard operation procedure documentation for all IT standard operation procedures to be held.
The successful candidate will also have:
- Degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Interest on a carrier path working on server’s architecture based on on-demand cloud computing platforms
- Experience helping to diagnose and solve computers systems (PC/Mac), and network problems
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities to identify and fix problems and security risks
- Excellent organizational, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize own tasks against project and team goals
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work requirements
- Able to work efficiently and effectively with a geographically-dispersed department and organization
- Willingness to travel as required
Cochrane is a global, independent network of health practitioners, researchers, patient advocates and others, responding to the challenge of making vast amounts of research evidence useful for informing decisions about health. We do this by synthesizing research findings to produce the best available evidence on what can work, what might harm and where more research is needed. Our work is recognised as the international gold standard for high quality, trusted information.
If you would like to apply for this position, please send a CV along with a supporting statement with “Junior Systems Administrator” in the subject line. The supporting statement should indicate why you are applying for the post, and how far you meet the requirements for the post outlined in the job description using specific examples. List your experience, achievements, knowledge, personal qualities, and skills which you feel are relevant to the post.
For further information, please download the full job description from the attached documents.
Deadline for applications: 23rd February 2020 (12 midnight GMT)
Interview information: this will be a two-stage process. 1st interviews will be a skype/phone conversation on week commencing 9th March. The 2nd interviews will be a face-to-face stage, commencing 16th March.