Please enter your email address to proceed with the application.
We recognised your email address. Sign in to prefill your application.
Step 1 out of 4
Your CV has been uploaded successfully.
Step 1 out of 4
It's time to upload your CV:
Step 2 out of 4
Add a cover letter to maximise your chances of getting this job.
Step 4 out of 4
Whoop! Your application is ready to be submitted.
Step 3 out of 4
Almost done! Please enter your details.
Want to tailor your application?
Go through the usual application process to upload a new CV and cover letter.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.
Team Manager Special Education Needs
Work Location - London Borough of Sutton
Salary range: £39,799 to £47,511 per annum (Grade 9)
Full time and Permanent
Cognus Limited delivers the London Borough of Sutton’s statutory education services and provides services to schools and academies in Sutton and beyond. We have an established and expert workforce, but have a start-up mentality – focussed on impact, service and value for money.
Our services are themed around Accessing Education, SEND Support, and Education Advice. We work with education providers and families to support children and young people to access and enjoy education, at school, at home or in other settings.
We draw on a range of expertise including, teachers, early years advisors, educational psychologists, speech and language and occupational therapists, to support school staff, parents/carers and others in developing their practice and confidence, as well as working with small groups or individual children and young people to understand and support their particular needs and talents.
Our SEN services support those with special educational needs, their families/carers and schools to provide advice, advocacy and training as well as the provision of home to school transport and other practical help.
Cognus wish to appoint an individual to join its Team. The Team are in the midst of a transformation programme and we are looking for someone with strategic experience who can bring new ideas and energy as both a Manager and significant team member.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day work of the SEND Cognus Delivery Team. You will need excellent managerial skills to undertake formal supervision of case work and delivery; support the Head of Service in setting the annual Business Plan and budget in relation to this team.
The SEND Team ensures the provision of an efficient, effective and responsive assessment service to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disability. This work entails the key working of all formal assessments and reviews in accordance with the Children and Families Act 2015. We have responsibility for the writing of co-produced and outcome focussed Education, Health and Care plans (EHCPs) and we have responsibility for the admission arrangements of all pupils with EHCPs to mainstream schools, special schools and units, and to colleges of further education, including the setting up of transport arrangements.
The post is a permanent position and flexibility is required in line with the needs of the business.
You will give us great commitment and in return we offer an excellent package including:
If you are interested and would like to be considered for this roles, please apply with a CV and personal statement (of no more than 3 sides, minimum font size 11) outlining your suitability. The deadline for receipt is10am on 25th July. Shortlisting will take place on 25th and successful candidates will be notified on the same day. Candidates are requested to be available for interview on Monday 29th July and subsequent dates that week.
All offers of employment are subject to successful completion of recruitment formalities which includes an enhanced DBS check. These checks must have been completed prior to commencement of employment. We expect our staff to have due regard for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and to follow the child protection procedures adopted by the Company and the Local Safeguarding Children’s Board.
We have several other roles we are recruiting to at different levels within Cognus. Please get in touch for an informal conversation about these and other opportunities if you or anyone else you know may be interested in working with us.
1. JOB SUMMARY:
The Team Manager for Special Education Needs will support the Head of Service in:
The post holder will be a role model of the professional behaviours outlined in the company policies.
2. PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
Provide professional expertise and guidance to lead the implementation of operational plans for the SEND Team of EHCP Coordinators.
· Lead operational activity ensuring services deliver the intended outcomes first time, are recorded effectively and are to agreed levels of quality.
· As appropriate, manage discrete projects from the annual Business Plan to ensure they deliver outcomes within agreed standards of cost and time.
· Identify opportunities for the continual improvement of the team including changes to processes and training in order to deliver cost effective services.
· Support the production of management information to monitor the delivery of performance, team and individual objectives and priorities.
· Understand and implement company policy in all areas, including Safeguarding, Health and Safety and Equality.
· Ensure on-going professional development of self and others in the Team, including professional objective setting and appraisal.
· Develop, motivate and set performance objectives for staff in order to support a culture of high-quality organisational performance.
· Work with all other leaders within Cognus to improve the services the company deliver.
3. BUDGETARY ACCOUNTABILITIES
· To monitor expenditure on allocated budgets and produce regular reports for the management team to enable informed decisions to be made across the company.
4. SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES
· The timely and efficient delivery of the EHCNA / P process including the statutory timeframes for the securing of advice and information from professionals.
· Ensure the high-quality production of EHCPs in line with statutory timeframes.
· Contributing to the arrangements for providing appropriate placements and provision for learners.
· Ensure the efficient management and implantation of annual reviews and ‘transition’ arrangements for all learners with an EHCP.
· The implementation of procedural changes as required.
· Undertaking complex SEND casework, including interpretation of legislation, in line with the SEN Code of Practice.
· Managing the development of the SEN Database.
· Deputising for the Head of SEN as necessary.
5. STAFF MANAGEMENT
· Direct line management of approximately 15 members of staff.
· To influence and support the work of a diverse range of stakeholders involved in the supporting SEN.
6. MANDATORY ACCOUNTABILITIES FOR THE COMPANY:
· At a strategic level ensure the well-being of employees and service users by actively promoting and complying with health and safety regulations, policies and procedures.
· At a strategic level, champion the promotion of diversity and equalities in the development and delivery of services and in all aspects of people management
The main duties and responsibilities of the post holder are indicated below although other duties of an appropriate level and nature will also be required.
Relevant qualifications and/or substantial experience in the field of SEN.
Appropriate experience undertaking formal supervision of case work and delivery
Awareness of business planning and strategy
Team management experience, including KPI reporting and risk and issue management
Awareness of Customer Care
Awareness of Quality management
Understanding of Health and Safety at work
Ability to prioritise and deliver results to high standards.
Excellent organisational and management skills.
Must have the ability to take teams and colleagues through cultural and operational changes, maintaining performance, morale and efficiency
Experience of Policy and procedure implementation
Excellent communication skills including business writing and verbal skill
High standard of professional behaviour and interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate, troubleshoot, and who is methodical and persuasive.
Leads others by setting a positive example in line with company values and acts as a role model. .
Strong ICT skills and competency, particularly in MS Office (Word and Excel). Experience in Office 365, Skype and teams advantageous
Is committed to safeguarding and protection of children.
Honours and upholds the Company’s Equal Opportunity Policy, Dignity at Work Policy, Safeguarding and Protection of Children, Health and Safety and Data Protection Policy at all times.
8.1 PROCESSING OF DATA:
a) You (“the employee”) consent to the holding and processing of personal data provided by you to the Company (“the Company”) for all purposes relating to your employment, but not limited to administering and maintaining personnel records, paying and reviewing salary and other remuneration and benefits, undertaking performance appraisals and reviews, the compulsory Disclosure and Baring Services check (DBS) details in line with its statutory responsibility to safeguard and protect children and vulnerable service users; maintaining sickness and other absence records and taking decisions as to your fitness for work.
b) You hereby acknowledge and agree that the Company may, in the course of its general and statutory duties as an employer be required to disclose personal data relating to you for legislative purposes during or after the end of your employment. This does not affect your statutory rights under the General Data Protection Regulation 2018.
8.2 COFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT:
a) During the course of your employment, you will have access to and knowledge of Company confidential information and trade secrets.
b) Disclosure of any of this confidential information and/or trade secrets could have serious financial consequences and/or create serious competitive disadvantages for the Company. There may be material damage, financial or otherwise, deliberate or otherwise, to the Company’s legitimate business interest.
c) Under the terms of this confidentiality agreement, you agree to keep secret and shall not at any time, either during employment or post-employment, use, communicate or reveal to any person any trade secret or confidential information relating to the Company or any Associated Company.
d) You are aware of the Company’s policies in relation to compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation and undertake to act in accordance with these at all times. Any breach of these policies will be dealt with under the Company’s disciplinary procedure and action taken can include dismissal without notice.
8.3 SAFER RECRUITMENT:
An offer of employment is subject to safer recruitment practices which include an enhanced DBS check, two professional references acceptable to Cognus Limited, proof of qualifications, proof of right to work in the UK, proof of personal address and employment history covering 5 years and, fitness to work with children (occupational health assessment). These checks must have been completed prior to commencement of employment.
This job description and person specification outlines the summary of key accountabilities and is not an exhaustive list of duties and, is subject to periodical review and changes in line with the business needs.