Head of Data Governance
12 Month Fixed Term Contract
£58,500 - £65,000pa
London, and currently remote
There has never been a more exciting and challenging time to work at Comic Relief as we transform ourselves to become a digital-first, data-driven charity working towards a just world, free from poverty.
We’re looking an outstanding individual to play a leading role in the work to exploit the wealth of data and analytics information at our disposal to help us raise our profile, increase our income and improve our engagement with supporters, grantees and partners – as well as to transform our internal reporting and analytics capabilities.
The Head of Data Governance is a new role which will play a leading role in transforming Comic Relief into a data- and insight-driven charity.
The core purposes of the role are:
- Defining and implementing the processes, standards and controls which govern use of the data and to maximise the benefit that the charity derives from it.
- Ensuring that Data Analysts have a high-performing, reliable data platform on which to work.
- Ensuring the availability, accuracy and security of data within Comic Relief.
The Head of Data Governance will work closely with, and provide the ‘bridge’ between, the Data Analysts (who are embedded in business functions such as fundraising, finance and grant-making) and the Technology teams who provide the Charity’s data platforms and tools.
The successful applicant will work to build a data-driven culture at all levels of the organisation, guiding the cross-functional team of Data Analysts, Engineers and Product Managers to:
- Put data- and analytics-driven decision making at the heart of our engagement with supporters, grantees and partners, and
- Ensure optimal and efficient use of data for insight and decision-making in support of the Charity’s objectives.
The successful applicant will require a mix of technical, data governance and influencing skills to support and align the Analysts and Technology staff in provision of robust, consistent and high-performing data platforms and products.
- Identify, define, and implement the processes and standards required to allow Data Analysts to fulfil data, analytics, and reporting needs across all areas of the charity in an efficient and consistent way.
- Ensure availability of data and analytics systems & platforms as well as the accuracy, quality & completeness of data and analytics information.
- Develop and deliver a programme of work to deliver quick wins and a longer-term data strategy for Comic Relief.
- Lead and manage data / analytics projects in collaboration with colleagues in Technology and the wider business using agile, test-and-learn-based approaches.
- Work collaboratively with Data Analysts embedded in teams across the business and provide guidance, training and support to allow them to create high-quality data products.
- Work with Technology colleagues to deliver the hardware, software, data structures and integrations to meet the needs of the Data Analysts and other date stakeholders.
- Ensure that structure, processes, tools, and proposed changes are clearly documented and well-understood by all data stakeholders.
- Develop a data-driven culture across the organisation, putting in-place the people, mindset and behaviours which are vital to a successful data function.
- Day-to-day responsibility for Information Security issues and compliance for the Technology Team, Data Analysts and Comic Relief as a whole.
- Be the subject matter expert in data management, governance, analytics, reporting and information security; expand the Data Analysts’ understanding of best practice, tools and techniques
- Contribute to the wider charity community through sharing technology and collaboration on shared issues.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Data, reporting and analytics – Experience of advanced data analytics and insight techniques e.g. predictive analytics, segmentation, forecasting modelling. Expert in the use of SQL, business intelligence tools (ideally Tableau), Analytics (ideally Google Analytics). Skills in the following may also be an advantage: SSIS, SSRS, SSAS, Athena, Data warehousing principles, MySQL.
- Data Architecture - Proven technical understanding of data systems, able to lead design and delivery of excellent data platforms; ability to create / maintain clear documentation of CR’s data eco-system
- Data Governance – Substantial experience of managing and supporting research and insight, and data-driven processes; experience of managing the availability, usability, integrity and security of data platforms, as well as in defining standards and policies that ensure consistent processes and reporting / analytics.
- Stakeholder management – able to manage stakeholders at all levels, including Data Analysts, Technology staff, senior managers (including C-level). An experienced relationship builder, able to influence colleagues and create a learning culture
- Collaborative working - be the ‘glue’ which ensures that Technology and Data Analysts work in an aligned and synergistic way to deliver real benefit and make Comic Relief a data-driven organisation.
- Detailed knowledge of the contemporary data and analytics landscape and how to apply new / emerging approaches to raise awareness, engagement and income, build successful relationships and maximise the impact of our investments
- Innovation - able to identify opportunity / innovation spaces and develop prototypes and proof-of-concepts to validate and progress new products.
- Management and delivery skills – the ability to engage, motivate and deliver organisational change to deliver a best-in-class data reporting and analytics function, preferably using agile / test-and-learn approaches
- Curious and creative thinker – to create a learning organisation committed to continuous improvement and always striving to do things better.
To apply please visit our website via the link and apply online.
Closing: 12:00pm, 5th Jul 2021 BST
Inclusivity at Comic Relief
We recognise diversity and inclusion are a source of strength in achieving our mission. We therefore welcome everyone, trusting what makes us different brings creativity, styles and experiences to help us collectively do our best work. That’s regardless of your gender, ethnicity, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, and cultural identity. We especially welcome those from under-represented groups in modern grant-making and fundraising. We are on a journey, but if you join our team you will be part of a community that is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where we want you to:
- Be valued for being yourself
- Do your best work, and be supported to break down barriers so you can succeed
- Be heard, respected, and treated as an equal, whatever your level, experience or background
- Be part of a team that is committed to making this happen – with our colleagues, partners, and contributors.
Comic Relief is committed to preventing and protecting all people from harm in their interactions with us. We expect all those that act in our name to uphold our approach to doing no harm.