Senior Media Officer
£34,000 - £37,000
London, and currently remote
To develop and deliver creative, national and regional media strategies for Red Nose Day 2021 that inspire the nation to get involved and highlight how donations are spent in the UK and around the world. This role will also support the Comic Relief press office, including joining the on-call rota for out-of-hours media enquiries. UK travel may be required.
Key Accountabilities / Objectives
- Develop and deliver creative national and regional media strategies, ensuring plans meet agreed targets and are evaluated appropriately. Strategies will support wider organisational objectives and integrate all communications channels (media, social, digital)
- Develop appropriate content and stories for digital platforms and outlets as well as traditional media
- Profile the work Comic Relief funds and the difference it makes by working directly with funded projects and the people they support, to show the positive impact donations make. This may involve setting up and managing visits with journalists, influencers and high-profile supporters
- Draft and edit high quality, compelling written materials and ensure all materials are approved before released. This includes interview briefing packs, press releases, spokespeople quotes and lines against enquiries
- Set up and facilitate interviews with spokespeople
- Relationship management - establish and build collaborative, quality relationships with all relevant internal and external stakeholders. This may include partners (including broadcast partners), PR agencies, media, and taking the lead on media activity in internal project working groups
- Team management and processes – implement all teams’ systems and procedures necessary for the smooth and efficient running of the press office
- Risk awareness and reputation management - monitor the press regularly to identify appropriate opportunities and potential threats to the promotion of the work of Comic Relief and other key partners. Update senior stakeholders on any coverage with a high level of opportunity or threat in a timely manner
- Be flexible and support the wider media team with ad hoc tasks as directed, such as delivering PR events, launches, attending shoots to gather media assets and pitching stories to media
PR experience, likely to be at Account Manager level or similar in a PR Agency or a Senior Press Officer/Publicist in-house
- Proven experience of developing, implementing and evaluating high profile media strategies
- Proven experience of working on sensitive subject matters
- An ability to develop and deliver fresh creative ideas that generate media coverage
- Proven experience of managing key stakeholder relationships (internal or external) and working with PR agencies, talent and their publicists to deliver high profile content
- Experience of managing and prioritising multiple complex projects to strict deadlines even when faced with challenges
- Excellent writer
- Line management experience is desirable but not essential
To apply please visit our website via the link.
Role closes - 12:00pm, 1st Oct 2020 BST (Europe/London)
Inclusivity at Comic Relief
We recognise diversity and inclusion are a source of strength in achieving our mission. We therefore welcome everyone, trusting what makes us different brings creativity, styles and experiences to help us collectively do our best work. That’s regardless of your gender, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, and cultural identity. We especially welcome those from under-represented groups in modern grant-making and fundraising. We are on a journey, but if you join our team you will be part of a community that is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where we want you to:
- Be valued for being yourself
- Do your best work, and be supported to break down barriers so you can succeed
- Be heard, respected, and treated as an equal, whatever your level, experience or background
- Be part of a team that is committed to making this happen – with our colleagues, partners, and contributors.
Comic Relief is committed to preventing and protecting all people from harm in their interactions with us. We expect all those that act in our name to uphold our approach to doing no harm.