Location: May be office based in Maidenhead or can adopt a flexible hybrid option of part home/part office working
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: From £26,063 per annum, depending upon experience
Hours: Full Time, 37 hours per week
About the CWGC
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission honours and cares for the men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died in the First and Second World Wars, ensuring they will never be forgotten. Funded by six Member Governments, our work began with building, and now maintaining, cemeteries at 23,000 locations all over the world.
Today, over a century after we first began, our work continues through our staff, supporters and volunteers who preserve our unique cultural, horticultural and architectural heritage and ensure that the stories of those who died are told.
About this Role and You
Our commemorations team are at the heart of the CWGC’s mission to remember those who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars. In this role you will join our friendly and dedicated team who are working together to ensure the records we keep are accurate, current and of a high quality.
This is a rare and coveted opportunity to immerse yourself into our archives, historical publications and other documentary sources to carry out in-depth policy-based research into ongoing casework and new Commemorations cases. With a keen eye for detail and meticulous research skills you will have the opportunity to assist our Commemorations Case Manager with carrying out in-house research for projects, policy groups and writing papers. Alongside your research work you will also play a key role in building complex data queries and manipulating data for projects and provide case work statistical reports. You will also develop training materials and give presentations to share our Commemorations policies to key audiences.
To be successful within this position you will have significant policy-based research experience and be confident responding to complex enquiries. As this role involves the use of large and complex sets of data you will be naturally inclined towards figures, particularly analysis and data presentation to non-expert audiences
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Education to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject
- Sound knowledge of 20th Century history
- Current working knowledge of locating and interpreting documentary sources relating to Commonwealth military service in the two world wars
- Advanced computer literacy, including MS Word, Excel and Teams
- Substantial experience of conducting historical research in a professional setting
- Experience of report writing
- Excellent research and analytical skills, with excellent attention to detail
- Able to source and interpret evidence and draw conclusions from those findings
- Able to communicate effectively to experts and non-experts
- Commitment to developing specialist knowledge of the CWGC’s history, policy and procedures, relating to commemoration
In addition, we are looking for applicants who share our Values of Respect, Excellence, Teamwork, Communication, Professionalism and Commitment.
What We Offer:
- A generous holiday allocation, with 25 days annual leave, rising by 1 day per year up to a maximum of 30
- Paid public holidays
- Paid office closure between Christmas and New Year
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous Pension Scheme, with CWGC contributing up to 15%
- Up to six times salary Life Assurance cover
- Employee Assistance Programme
- We offer piece of mind for our employees travelling on business via International SOS
How to Apply
Please submit your CV, cover letter and completed application form, attached, or visit our website Careers page for full details of how to apply.
We value the differences that a diverse workforce brings and are committed to creating a respectful work environment where everyone is treated with dignity and respect and where any unlawful and/or unfair discrimination is eliminated. We will not unlawfully discriminate directly or indirectly in recruitment or employment on grounds of sex, gender reassignment, pregnancy, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, age, sexual orientation or marital status, religion or belief.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.