Senior Consultant and Head of Compton Trust Research Unit
An opportunity to join Europe’s market- leading fundraising consultancy in a specialised role to serve the firm’s clients, support Compton’s client-based teams and work with the Managing Director to grow our business in the trust, foundations and other grant making income streams.
Reports to: Managing Director
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Location: Compton’s London and Midlands offices and visits throughout the UK to other Compton client sites
Minimum of 5-years trust and foundation/bid writing experience required
Remuneration: £40,000 - £45,000 plus bonus and share purchase opportunities
The Senior Consultant will work with the Managing Director, Managing Consultants and in-field trust consultants/managers to develop and build out a specific business plan for the Compton Trusts and Foundation Research Unit.
The role will involve regular meetings at Compton’s London and Leamington Spa offices and client site visits throughout the UK (including regular visits to Royal Trinity Hospice, Clapham).
The successful candidate will, upon completion of a 6-month probationary period, be expected to join Compton’s leadership team of Senior Consultants.
At the core of the role will be responsibility to work with Compton’s MD to develop a specific business plan with targeted billing growth for the Compton Research unit, supervise and support the performance of Compton’s trust fundraisers on other projects, campaigns and assignments as requested – and to work with the MD, the Head Office home team and other Managing Consultants on the trust research components of consulting assignments, fundraising studies and reviews.
This component of the work will involve client-facing work on other sites and the delegation of research work to the firm’s more junior trust researchers and consultants – plus a training, mentoring and advisory role to develop our capacity to respond to opportunities in the trusts, foundations and other grant making sector.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Work with the MD and the Compton HQ team on the development of a sustainable business plan to grow the Trust and Foundation Unit.
- Develop and manage our knowledge base of trust, foundation and grant making organisations and share this with Compton colleagues and clients.
- Conduct, supervise and organise research into grant income opportunities for Compton clients in Resources Study, Fundraising Review and other consulting assignment settings.
- Research and keep abreast of all relevant grant giving Trusts and other funding streams to create new opportunities for Compton clients and disseminate regular bulletins to the Compton team about relevant grant opportunities
- Liaise with Compton’s Head Office to ensure a consistently high standard of presentation in reports to clients – whether as stand-alone pieces of consulting work or part of broader-based assignments.
Experience, knowledge, skills and characteristics required:
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Professional presentation consistent with joining the market-leading fundraising consultancy
- An interest in learning about and contributing to the growth of our specialist consulting business
- Minimum 5-years experience and track record of success in researching and approaching philanthropic trusts, family foundations and statutory funders
- Experience and flair in developing specific case for support documents and bid-ready, customised proposals based on them
- Experience of writing winning funding applications, proposals and tender submissions
- Listening skills and the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with client leaders and staff, Compton colleagues at all levels and potential funders
- A level of relationship management and soft skills needed to develop lasting client partnerships and networks
- An entrepreneurial spirit supported by a strong work ethic
- Ability to inspire and mentor other team members in the context of growing Compton’s business in trust and foundation income streams
- IT skills sufficient to effectively use Google Drive, MS Word, Excel, Power Point and fundraising databases such as Raiser’s Edge, Harlequin and DonorFlex – plus other web-based systems, including Salesforce.