JOB TITLE: Trust Fundraising Manager
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Director of Fundraising
CLIENT: St Christopher’s Hospice, Sydenham SE26
SALARY: up to £35,000 plus bonus
Overall Aim of the Post
To maintain and build relationships with a portfolio of charitable trusts capable of giving significant gifts. To develop compelling fundraising proposals to secure funds. To support the core fundraising target of the Hospice and raise funds for additional projects approved by the Hospice. To supervise and support a junior trust fundraiser post. To work strategically to develop a trust fundraising plan. To work with the Director of Fundraising and the Hospice’s Executive Team to submit significant, large-scale applications.
- This is a Trust Fundraising Manager role working within the fundraising team at St Christopher's Hospice, while supervising the Trust Fundraiser role
- Researching grant-makers using databases and search engines
- Understanding the behaviour and motivations of charitable trusts
- Establishing and managing productive relationships with a portfolio of charitable trusts
- Contacting trusts to discuss various projects
- Matching funding opportunities to projects
- Preparing proposals
- Using events, meetings, talks and inspirational writing to help charitable trusts learn about the work of St Christopher’s and to understand the difference they are making
- Working effectively with senior staff to develop compelling, bespoke proposals, drawing on all relevant resources available within the Charity
- Putting in place robust procedures to ensure we meet our formal reporting commitments
- Developing the strategic direction of the trusts team, effectively implementing own planning, budgeting and reporting objectives
- Undertaking training and other development opportunities to expand personal knowledge of trust fundraising and key St Christopher’s projects and developments
- Representing St Christopher’s at bespoke events, outside of normal work hours, to raise the profile of the Hospice and network with relevant trust contacts.
The Trust and Foundation Income for the Hospice makes up about £500,000 and is an extremely important area within fundraising. Trusts also make a significant contribution to bespoke capital campaigns conducted by the Hospice.
Contribute to fundraising team meetings and organisational priorities and other associated duties as may arise. Be proactive in keeping up to date with developments affecting your work.
Gain a wider understanding of the activities and priorities of the Hospice, in order to disseminate to the fundraising team generally as needed.
Assist with additional fundraising and Hospice events, as requested by community/events teams.
Well presented, confident, articulate and outgoing, you will possess an open, creative, enquiring mind and have an enthusiasm for fundraising and commitment to the aims and objectives of St Christopher’s.
- The ability to write clearly and concisely, and to adjust tone and style of writing with an understanding of the target audience
- The ability to produce successful fundraising proposals with a good understanding of the importance of research
- The ability to divide attention constructively between multiple campaigns and proposals as required
- Confident and able to work to stretching financial targets, prioritising work and meeting deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a positive ‘can do’ attitude
- A motivated self-starter with the enthusiasm, drive and ambition to maximise income from existing and new major supporters.
- 3-5 years’ experience of trust fundraising, including demonstrated ability to secure significant 5-6 figure grants
- The ability to develop and execute a strategic plan to maintain and increase trust income
- Experience of managing and supporting a junior role
- Experience and understanding of the Hospice/end of life care sector