This organisation is scheduling interviews as the applications come in. Don’t miss your opportunity, apply now!
Connect: North Korea is a UK-based organisation with a global aim: enabling every person who escaped the oppression of North Korea, to heal, grow, and live the life they choose through holistic support programmes. We were established in 2018 to address the complex challenges North Koreans face in building new lives once they’ve escaped the oppressive North Korean regime and reached safety in a free country.
We are seeking a Treasurer to help Connect: North Korea continue our growth from a small community start-up into a high-impact, well-renowned, and sustainable international organisation by overseeing our financial management. You will be key to helping us to drive change for North Korean escapees.
If you have a finance background, this is an excellent opportunity to take on a highly rewarding role supporting our work. As part of a tightly-knit and ambitious team, you will be responsible for oversight of our governance, providing strategic support related to financial management, and overseeing robust financial processes for continued growth. Individuals are sought who have a strong empathy with our work and vision and share our values and commitment to social and racial justice.
LOCATION: Online/ 120B Malden Road, New Malden, KT3 6DD
We usually hold board meetings online.
COMMITMENT: 2 – 3 hours per month.
Our Board meets every quarter for 2 hours. We also hold one annual away day. All trustees join one of our subcommittees – Comms/Fundraising, Programmes, and Finance and Risk – which also meet every quarter for around 2 hours. There is expected support between meetings.
Our terms are capped at 3 years with potential for renewal for one additional term.
Overview of responsibilities
● Ensuring that there are effective financial management processes in place.
● Working with the CEO to set and monitor financial/risk KPIs.
● Check and challenge management accounts, annual budgets, and annual reporting.
● Liaising with our CEO and our experienced book-keeper to report to the board on our financial position.
● Supporting our team when engaging and reporting to funders.
● Lead on appointing and liaising with auditors or independent examiners.
● Supporting us to develop our networks to increase our income.
● Working with the fundraising committee to ensure that fundraising meets our expenditure needs, and raising awareness of our fundraising projects though personal and professional networks.
● Minimum of 5 years of experience in a senior finance role
● Excellent communication and teamwork skills
● Must align with our values and have proven involvement in social and racial justice work.
● Finance Director/CFO from the charity sector
● Knowledge of the refugee support sector
● Knowledge of charity governance is preferable.
● Lived experience of migration or of a refugee background is highly desirable.
● Korean speaker
The ideal candidate has a positive attitude, works well in a team, and is highly organised with great attention to detail.
We welcome and encourage applicants from all backgrounds and do not discriminate on the basis of age, disability (physical or learning), LGBTQI+ or relationship status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, gender or social class.
If you do not match the desirable criteria for this role, please don’t let that put you off applying, because training and support can be negotiated for the right candidate.
How to apply
Please send a CV and cover letter for the attention of Robin Walker, Chair of the Board of Trustees.
Applications close at 11.59pm, 31st August.
Interviews will take place on a rolling basis.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.