Treasurer for CBRL and supporting its commitment to research in the Middle East..
Working with the Chair, Trustees and Senior Leadership team, the role of the new Hon Treasurer will involve:
· overseeing the strategic financial management of the charity to ensure that the CBRL achieves a financially sustainable position and builds appropriate reserves;
· overseeing and presenting budgets, internal management accounts and annual financial statements to trustees;
· involvement, with management and other Hon Officers, in strategic planning and in presentation of plans to potential funders and stakeholders;
· leading in the trustees’ duty to ensure that proper accounting records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place;
· advising on the financial implications of the charity’s strategic plan;
· board-level liaison with the external auditor;
· ad hoc advice and support for the management team and Trustees on financial matters; and
- chairing the Finance & Governance Sub-Committee.
Person specification: Essential (E) and Desirable (D)
· Ability to communicate clearly and explain financial information to Trustees and other stakeholders (E)
· Accountancy qualification or strong business finance experience (E)
· Analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgment. (E)
· Understanding of financial controls, systems and procedures (E)
· Knowledge of charity SORP and charity law and regulation, or willingness to learn (E).
· Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship and company directorship. (E)
· British citizen or resident in the UK (E)
· General business experience of international operations and/or the Middle East (D)
· Familiarity with research environment/research grants (D)
· Experience of project appraisal and fundraising from a financial perspective (D)
· Competent use of IT skills (D)
Commitment is circa two-three days per month, term four years. Trustee meetings are held four times a year in London. The Hon Treasurer also chairs the Finance & Governance sub-committee, which meets four times a year on the same day as the Trustee meetings. There are also regular online meetings between Honorary Officers and senior management.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.