Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Skylight Birmingham is dedicated to ensuring every individual has direct access to support as quickly as possible and are expanding and developing our blended learning offer to respond to individual needs.
About the role
As Functional Skills Tutor (known internally as Smart Skills Tutor) at Crisis, you will have a real focus on wellbeing courses designed for homeless people, those at risk of homelessness, and those with limited experience of independent living. You will deliver and develop high quality accredited and non-accredited learning units to our Skylight members. You will also work alongside the learning team to deliver courses which improve the skills and knowledge of members in order for them to sustain their tenancies and to work towards ending homelessness for Skylight members. It is integral part of the role that you have an understanding of homelessness and be aware of the issues which Skylight members can be faced with and provide knowledge and consistency though the Crisis learning offer.
This role is a 12 month fixed term contract.
To be successful in this role you will :
- Hold or be working towards practical teaching qualifications i.e. PGCE, CertEd or equivalent.
- Have knowledge and understanding of issues affecting homeless and vulnerably housed individuals, including mental illness, addiction and additional learning needs.
- Experience of working with challenging behaviour and clients with complex needs and an ability to identify, manage and minimise potential conflict situations.
- Experience of directly engaging vulnerable individuals, who may have been out of education for a long time, or had a bad experience of the education system, in relevant education and training programmes.
- Experience of developing, high quality, accredited learning programmes
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain working relationships with a diverse range of providers and individuals
- Ability to effectively plan and organise work, including a high level of contact with members on a day to day basis, assessing priorities, meeting deadlines and managing a caseload of Skylight members.
We want Crisis to be an inclusive employer which then reflects our members and the communities we work in. We want to offer opportunities to everyone regardless of their gender, ethnicity, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age. We particularly welcome applications from people with lived experience of homelessness.
Working at Crisis
As a member of the team you will have access to a wide range of employee benefits including:
- Interest free loans to purchase a train season ticket or a bike or for a deposit to secure a tenancy
- Mandatory pension scheme, with an employer contribution of 8.5%
- 25 days’ annual leave which increases with service to 28 days
Alongside our excellent staff benefits, we will support your ongoing development to build your skills, experience and career.
When you join us you will have the opportunity to join our staff diversity networks, which aim to champion issues across the organisation, enable staff to be their authentic and best selves and contribute to making Crisis a truly diverse organisation.
We have 5 staff diversity networks which include Black, Asian and Ethnic people, LGBTQ+ people, those with Lived Experience of Homelessness, Women at Crisis and Disability Awareness.
How to apply
If this sound likes the opportunity for you, please click on the 'Apply for Job' button below.
Closing date: Monday 11th October 2021 (at 23:59)
Interviews will be held on 21st October 2021.
We welcome applications from people who identify as neuro diverse and want our recruitment process to be as accessible as possible. If you need us to make an adjustment or provide additional support as you apply for a role, please email our Recruitment team, contact details can be found on our website.
Registered Charity Numbers: E&W1082947, SC040094
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.