Our office is located in Hatfield, Herts, however, like many organisations we are all currently working from home due to the coronavirus pandemic, although previously we were largely office based. Due to the experience we have gained during this period, consideration will be given to requests for working from home arrangements.
To support our strategic aim that everyone will understand Crohn’s and Colitis, whilst raising the profile of the charity. To deliver ambitious communications campaigns and generate regular, high-quality national and regional media coverage for our work in health services development, research, income generation and high-profile campaigns, supporting the charity’s other strategic aims.
With proven experience of working on successful media campaigns and generating high-quality, effective media coverage, you will also have a working knowledge of digital media, including social media, video and graphics. Strong interpersonal skills and professionalism in working with both journalists and colleagues but especially when working with case studies when you also need to understand GDPR requirements. Our priority is always helping those living with IBD so experience of reporting on media campaigns and showing their impact and a commitment to the Charity aims and values are essential.
Manage the media communication of agreed areas within the charity, working with research, public campaigns, health service development, income generation activities and the charity profile:
- Secure consistent national, regional, digital and specialist trade media coverage to increase understanding of Crohn’s and Colitis and raise the profile of the charity
- Develop and deliver creative communication and PR plans, working with other teams across the charity, in support of the charity’s strategic aims
- Support with ambitious multi-media campaigns and projects, working with the digital and brand teams, and external creative agencies on content and strategy.
- Plan proactive media work and create media opportunities to raise awareness of the issues faced by people with Crohn’s and Colitis
- Monitor the news for relevant stories in the health, research and charity sector, and advise on sharing with the Crohn’s and Colitis community in accessible language
- Develop and build relationships with organisational spokespeople, including healthcare professionals and researchers, providing them with briefing
- Communicate policy-led messages through strong and compelling language to key stakeholders and healthcare audiences
- Identify PR opportunities and build and maintain relationships with our ambassadors, celebrities and influencers
- Identify interesting stories to share with our members and supporters, through our online membership magazine, online blog, news section and email communications
- Attend and assist at any meetings or events, including our flagship fundraising event WALK IT (currently on hold)
Provide an effective media service:
- Write attention-grabbing press releases, features and pitch stories to media as required and to deadline. Distribute to targeted media using the contacts database, building and managing media lists
- Provide timely and accurate information to journalists, both proactively and reactively, including statements
- Contribute to the smooth running of the press office. Share the delivery of an out-of-hours press phone (flexible rota - currently one week in three)
- Identify, develop and maintain journalist relationships across a range of media outlets, including print (trade, national, regional), broadcast and online
- Respond quickly to breaking news opportunities and where relevant, work with colleagues to respond swiftly to the media with comments
- Identify and build relationships with a network of case studies, willing to share their stories with the media and to the Crohn’s and Colitis community
- Work with the digital team to identify news stories to share on social media
Evaluation and analysis:
- Collate and analyse media coverage secured, including monthly reporting and personal KPIs
- Assist in the production of reports, both for specific campaigns and impact and data reports
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.