David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation (DSWF) is a highly effective wildlife conservation charity funding key conservation projects across Africa and Asia. Our mission is to increase awareness to people around the world about the need to protect and conserve wildlife and their habitats.
Our ground-based conservation partners are dedicated and professional organisations with a deep understanding of the landscapes in which they operate, and our relationships are steeped in mutual respect and admiration, nurtured over many years. More than ever before, we face daily news of the devastation that humans inflict on wildlife and on our planet, news of vanishing species and wild spaces. David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation invests in economically and socially vulnerable communities with programmes that have a real impact, on real people, in real places.
DSWF takes a holistic approach to conservation, recognising the essential role that communities and education both play in ensuring conservation successes. We also recognise the need to tackle environmental and wildlife crime from grassroots to the world stage across all forums and platforms available for change.
By engaging in the international policy arena, fighting for greater protectionist policies and legislation, governments become equally important stakeholders in the fight for species protection, alongside those putting their lives on the line daily for the survival of species and the protection of their natural habitats.
The role: The Trusts and Foundations Manager is a critical post within the charity. The Trusts and Foundations Manager will lead on activity with Trusts and Foundations at all levels, securing support for David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation’s conservation projects, UK educational programmes and other activities across the organisation.
Working with the Senior Management Team this position is part of a team of fundraisers which has the responsibility of raising more than £1.5m+ per annum. The Foundations fundraising activity is supported by the Senior Management Team and benefits from the expertise and support of the DSWF Board of Trustees.
Strategy and development of new Trust and Foundation support:
- To work with the Chief Executive Officer to plan and implement a strategy to deliver £300k+ annually from Trusts and Foundations.
- To work with the Head of Policy and Programmes and other colleagues to identify opportunities for support and to shape them into compelling propositions for donors.
- To proactively research, apply for and secure funding from Trusts and Foundations and public funding bodies in the UK and beyond, with a focus on widening DSWF’s pool of Trust and Foundation supporters.
- To cultivate relationships with Trusts and Foundations Trustees, staff and other influencers through meetings, updates and invitations to DSWF events. Working with senior colleagues to build our network and establish meaningful and positive relationships.
Stewardship of existing Trust and Foundation supporters:
- To foster and maintain existing relationships with Trusts and Foundations, through regular and appropriate communication, meetings and inclusion in DSWF events and activities.
- To compile evaluation and financial reports and other information requested and required in a timely manner, tailored to the needs of specific funders.
- To proactively identify opportunities for funders to see the results of their support and to meet key colleagues or beneficiaries.
- To identify opportunities for existing supporters to renew and extend their support and communicating these opportunities in a timely and effective manner.
- To ensure that the highest possible standards of stewardship and service are maintained across the team with a view to encouraging renewal of funding and increased involvement.
- To work closely and positively with colleagues across the team and to support the events programme when required.
- To keep the fundraising database accurate and up to date regarding grants, prospects, proposals and communications.
- To provide regular updates on funds raised, approaches made, and other KPIs for Senior Management and DSWF’s Board of Trustees.
- To keep abreast of developments and trends in fundraising (with a focus on Trust and Foundation fundraising) and bringing new opportunities to the attention of the wider DSWF team.
- To undertake any related tasks as requested by the Chief Executive Officer.
- Demonstrable experience of meeting fundraising targets and of identifying, building and maintaining effective relationships with Trusts and Foundations.
- Experience of reading and interpreting financial statements and familiarity with Charity accounting.
- Experience of working with colleagues across the organisation to identify fundraising opportunities.
- Excellent communication skills – in person and in writing. Ability to synthesise complex information and to translate it into compelling copy for applications, updates and reports.
- Ability to plan clearly and strategically.
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise competing short and long-term objectives.
- Numerate with strong attention to detail and experience of preparing and working with project budgets.
- Strong administration and computer skills, including MS Office.
- Ability and willingness to work outside office hours as required.
- Experience of fundraising in a wildlife conservation environment.
- Knowledge and enthusiasm for the work of DSWF.
- Experience of using Raisers Edge or a similar CRM.
Remuneration and Hours
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, with additional hours as required as necessary.
Chief Executive Officer
Works closely with:
Head of Policy and Programmes, Head of Finance
20 days per annum rising to 22 days after two years’ service. An extra one day per annum will be given thereafter to a maximum of 25 days per annum. Bank Holidays also provided, and an additional holiday entitlement will be given at the Foundation’s discretion around Christmas and New Year.
Surrey or London
How to apply: Please apply online with your CV and covering letter (covering letter no more than 2 sides of A4 referencing the job description above)
We will begin interviewing immediately, so this position may be filled before the deadline closes. Please don’t wait before applying!
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.