This exciting new role will attract an experienced and highly motivated Team Leader who can support the Sanctuary Manager in day to day running of a busy sanctuary, and the training and developing of staff and volunteers.
You will embrace the Ethics and Ethos of the Charity and promote compassionate living
You will have a minimum of 12 months full time experience working with farmed animals, along with proven supervisory / management skills.
Excellent communications skills both written and verbal
Proven experience in leading a team, mentoring and training
Be physically fit and embrace all seasonal weathers
Have a true passion and empathy for all animals which a background in animal care
Ideally experience with Equines
Driving licence essential
Aim of Role
To support the Sanctuary Manager in the smooth and safe running of the sanctuary, ensuring all residents receive the correct and appropriate care and welfare to live a safe and happy life. To manage and support team members and volunteers so they carry out their roles safely giving appropriate care to the residents in their home.
- To identify any issues with the sanctuary animals through daily thorough checks
- To have a thorough understanding of all sick animal care plans through regular handovers with the AWM, this information must be communicated effectively to the teams, monitored or trained in accordance to the care plan. Recording all relevant information in appropriate files / books
- On the advice of the AWM you must demonstrate effective communication with vets, farrier, physiotherapist and any other practitioners we engage with.
- Contact vets, farrier if animals require attention
- Follow all vaccination and treatment programmes for sanctuary animals and communicate or train to teams as advised by AWM or Manager
- Administer medications
- Collect prescription medications as and when required
- Assist with vet / farrier visits
- Support with day to day Animal Care Duties
- Follow all animal feed and enrichment programmes: train and monitor through the teams
- Identify housing and fencing damage
- Ensure all animals are in safe paddocks
- Follow all pasture management programmes
- Assist with safe and appropriate storage of any deliveries
- Ensure daily and weekly duties for equines are being carried out
- Review weekly equine paperwork
- Support with Physiotherapy
- Attend regular equine meeting with AWM / Manager
- Assist with the worming, vets, farrier and other practitioners visiting the equines
- Plan and prepare weekly work for equine staff, monitor and review
- Work hands on with the equines on a weekly basis
- Support with Equine treatements and care plans
- Responsible for the sourcing, inducting, training, monitoring, empowering and booking of animal based volunteers
- Organising the weekly tasks for volunteers ensuring safety and supervision at all times through the teams
- Safe receipt and storage of deliveries
- All associated paperwork regarding rotas and staff availability
- All associated paperwork regarding Volunteers
- Ensure communication books are completed in line with policy
- Ensure all team members are empowered, supported and feel valued to create a positive working environment
Staff Team Organisation
- Monthly rotas
- Sick and holiday cover
- Extra staff when required
- Write up daily tasks on the board
- Monitor staff, review work and train as required
Policy, Procedure and Legislation
- Work in accordance to the Charity Policy and Procedures
- Follow and ensure staff and volunteers work to procedures and risk assessments
- Follow all legislation which governs our industry in accordance to health and Safety, COSHH and DEFRA
- Ensure you and the staff team work inline with in house training
- In the absence of the AWM conduct the daily morning meeting with staff (Farm and Equine) to ensure they are fully up to date with sanctuary information and de brief at the end of the shift with sanctuary staff.
- Complete daily board for staff and volunteers
Training Salary £18,500 ( six month period )
32.5 hours a week (over a fortnight)
Hours between 8am and 6pm five days a week
Rota over 7 days a week including bank holidays
This role is subject to seasonal changes due to the needs of the sanctuary residents
The Sanctuary does not offer accommodation with this role
We are only able to contact successfull applicants inviting them to the next stage
Dean Farm Trust established in 2007 is a registered charity and animal sanctuary. Operating in Chepstow South Wales we offer a home for life to unwanted, neglected and abused animals. Our sanctuary is currently home to 185 farmed animals in 62 acres of pasture, paddocks and woodland, We promote compassion and a vegan lifestyle. Our sanctuary is open to the public, private visitors along with hosting tours and events throughout the year. Our ethos is to treat every single animal as an individual, caring for it giving the correct enrichment, feed, space, freedom and companisnship for their life. In the short time we have been open thousands of visitors have come to the sanctuary, many returning with their families and friends.
The primary aim of the Trust is to provide a home for life, shelter, warmth, food, and enrichment, to sick, ill-treated, and abused animals and animals that have been subjected to farming or sport.
To promote humane behaviour towards animals by providing care, treatment, protection, and security for animals and to educate the public in matters pertaining to animal welfare in general and the prevention of cruelty and suffering among animals. The Trust also promotes compassionate living and humane behaviour towards animals through a variety of public education and outreach activities.
Our Charity was delighted when earlier this year the wonderful "Matt Pritchard" became our Patron. He is an animal advocate and is about to embark on a huge challenge of Rowing aacross the Atlantic Ocean to raisefunds for our charity.
We have had a number of articles written about us in the local and National magazines and papers supporting the work we do and sharing our stories.
In the sort time we have been established our charity has one a number of awards and recently been voted the "Favourite Animal Sanctuary" in the UK by the prestigeous Vegfest
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.