Flexible and remote role, for an experienced HR manager to work across the organisation. Supporting those who care for someone with Dementia.
Purpose : To lead HR activities and processes within the organisation, supporting managers and colleagues to manage and work effectively. Supported by colleagues in the Accounts and HR team and outside advisors.
Reports to : Director of Finance & Resources
Dementia Carers Count :
Dementia Carers Count (DCC) is a national charity dedicated to the 700,000 family members and friends in the UK who are caring for someone with dementia. We deliver free services, both face-to-face and online, that give family carers the opportunity to learn about dementia, to connect with others and to find ways to improve and maintain their own wellbeing while navigating the highs and lows of caring for someone with dementia. All our services are developed in close collaboration with family carers, enabling us to concentrate on their needs, and are delivered by experts.
Having increased staff numbers from 16 to 26 over the last 6 months, DCC has an exciting strategy aimed at increasing the number of beneficiaries reached at the same time as increasing its income generation, in order to become financially sustainable by 2025. This includes developing earned income from commercial activities, as well as delivering support to carers online, such as through our newly developed and evolving Virtual Carers’ Centre.
With carers are the heart of what we do, we operate an organisational model to match. We are a flexible employer, with everyone working remotely. We meet up when needed and focus on delivering high quality of work.
The role :
To support the growth in the organisation, our corporate services teams are also expandingThis has included a new Finance & Resources Director – who joined in March 2022 and leads the Accounts and HR function, as well as the creation of our first dedicated Human Resources post.
With the new strategy and a growing team, the whole approach to Human Resources is under review. So, this is an exciting time to join us. We are determined that HR should reflect the organisational values of Nurturing, Versatile, Open-minded, Determined and Empowering. We are looking for outsourced/external support to provide additional input and guidance. We are looking for someone who will join us on this journey and make a significant contribution to this review.
We are a small organisation, with ambitious plans, and an entrepreneurial approach. We are looking for someone prepared to take care of detail, including administration associated with HR. An ability to see the bigger picture, take initiative and develop the way the DCC does HR will set a candidate apart.
We’re advertising the role at 21 hours per week, but would consider applications for slightly more or less. The hours can be structured in many different ways to be agreed, although providing cover during the week is something we will need to consider.
- Owning all HR processes, developing them, documenting them where needed, and ensuring they are understood across the organisation
- Liaising with managers, and colleagues, offering advice, support and responding to queries on HR matters
- Managing our HR database, ensuring that data is up to date and the system is usable by colleagues.
- Leading internally managed recruitments : working with managers to plan recruitment, placing adverts, coordinating candidates and interview/testing processes.Supporting when Agencies are used for recruitment.
- Supporting on payroll, and other tasks as needed, including occasional cover for within the wider Finance & HR team.
- Generalist experience in human resources
- Formal HR qualification, e.g., CIPD or equivalent
- Experience of working with HR information systems, as well as good all round IT skills
- Experience of leading on recruitment campaigns
- Experience of acting as the first point of call for managers / staff to provide support and advice around HR processes / policies
- Ability to keep up to date on employment law
- Communication skills – able to connect with people face to face as well as communicate in writing,– making human resources relevant to them.
- Judgement – able to consider different angles to a question and decide on a way forward for the organisation.
- Willing and capable to keep administrative elements of HR in good order and up to date.
- Flexible and able to adapt to a varied role, in a small organisation – managing your own workload and the contribution colleagues make.
What we offer :
Salary: £20,400 pa (£34,000 full time equivalent)
Travel costs are paid by DCC, so you will have no commuting costs.
Location: Homeworking, but must be able to travel into the London office from time to time as required.
Hours of work: 21 hours per week
Benefits: 25 days holidays plus Bank Holidays (Pro rata for part time staff), Workplace company Pension scheme with 6% employer contribution and membership of a Group Life Assurance.
We are a flexible employer – committed to adapting how we work to allow employees to thrive inside and outside of work.
How to apply
To apply we will need a CV and a cover letter that explains you suitability for the role.
Further details on the role, the application process and our organisation - can be found in the recruitment pack.
You will need to have a pre-exiting right to work in the UK. We are unable to offer visa sponsorship.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.