Purpose of Job
The Payroll, Pensions and HR System’s Officer will be responsible for providing an efficient, accurate, responsive and professional Payroll and Pensions Service to the charity, providing advice and support to internal stakeholders together with ensuring all relevant information is supplied accurately and in a timely manner to the outsourced Payroll and Pensions processing provider. The post holder will also be responsible for the accurate administration of the electronic HR system and employee records within a timely manner. The post holder will be required to provide support and assistance to the team and more widely throughout the charity, in order to drive forward successful implementation of the Strategic Objectives of the Charity.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Running and processing Payroll and Pensions – responsible for ensuring that all Payroll and Pensions related data entry is processed accurately throughout the month and year to meet agreed deadlines for key milestones e.g. monthly pay runs and year-end accounts; aligned to People and finance processes. In addition to processing all regular and ad hoc salary payments accurately for salaried, hourly paid and sessional workers on a monthly basis. Responsible for accurately processing additional and ad hoc payments e.g. Shift-working overtime, and informing employees as necessary in writing.
- Processing salary changes, leavers and starters – provision of an efficient and prompt administrative service to ensure the smooth running of the Payroll and Pensions deliverables; including filing, scanning, photocopying, data input, invoice processing, production and distribution of necessary publications, documents, reports, and statistics. Responsible for accurately processing all starters, leavers, other adjustments and relevant deductions for both the Payroll and Pensions schemes within a timely manner.
- Pension’s auto-enrolment and administration – responsible for accurately managing auto-enrolment in a timely and accurate manner, whilst ensuring information is accurate and sharing relevant changes with the pension scheme providers as appropriate. Liaising with the Pensions regulator and re-declaring compliance when required. Managing all aspects of the pension scheme administration. Day to day administering of changes to the pension schemes including the NHS Pension scheme. Having detailed knowledge of the NHS pension scheme including joiner forms, leaver forms, end of year spreadsheets and full pay control and other charges, whilst liaising with NHS Pensions and contributors, keeping reconciliation spreadsheets and dealing with arising issues.
- Supporting the year-end audit and liaising with statutory bodies – responsible for accurately processing relevant statutory deductions, HMRC RTI notifications, including attachment of earnings, court orders, etc. Assisting in the year-end external audit process. Contribute to the implementation of key changes identified from Payroll and Pensions audit reviews and recommendations.
- HR Information Systems Administration and provision of Management Information (MI) – liaising with finance to produce monthly reports to agreed deadlines in order to inform and provide data to the Payroll bureau, Finance, HMRC, Pension reporting and managers to ensure accurate Payroll and Pensions management. Liaise with the management accountant to provide Payroll and Pensions information and explanations to budget holders for the monthly management accounts meetings. Responsible for preparing the monthly Payroll and Pensions journal for input to the financial accounting system and reconciling the QuickBooks Payroll and Pensions balance sheet control accounts on a monthly basis to an agreed deadline. Responsible for the accurate maintenance, updating and auditing of manual and electronic employee records to ensure accurate reporting of all aspects of people data including changes in headcount, absence, performance; turnover; etc. in order to effectively manage organisational design changes and organisational effectiveness against organisational design changes and provide key stakeholders with appropriate mi within a timely manner.
- Benefits administration – the first point of contact for managers and employees when dealing with queries relating to employee benefits. Responsible for processing relevant additional benefits schemes and related processes including childcare vouchers, cycle to work schemes, season ticket and staff loans etc. Responsible for liaising with benefits providers in the event of any discrepancies prior to escalation. Working with the Head of Department to review current reward and benefits available to employees and identifying additional or alternative benefits in order to strengthen the Employee Value Proposition and develop more relevant benefits and rewards for our employees.
- General HR and Systems Administration – responsible for adding employee information, processing changes including starters and leavers information to the HR system. Responsible for ensuring the ongoing accuracy of the HR and Payroll system by amending employee HR records as necessary. Working closely with finance, and other internal and external stakeholders to ensure ongoing accuracy of the HR system and employee records. Responsible for setting up employee and manager self-service on the HR system together with first point of contact to manage password reset or allocation and other changes relating to the HR system; whilst liaising with the HR systems supplier in the event of any technical issues. Responsible for creating and maintaining a HR dashboard, together with providing regular reports and management information to ensure that management and the exec have appropriate information in order to ensure effective workforce planning etc.
- Stakeholder engagement, communication and support – act as the first point of contact for employees in respect of any queries relating to Payroll and pension schemes currently in place within the charity. Responsible for ensuring that relevant communication on any changes to Payroll or the Pension schemes are provided to employees within Dementia UK; promptly and accurately with employee issues and concerns in order to facilitate a satisfactory resolution. Participating in regular meetings with key stakeholders in finance and People and OD.
- Support the implementation of the People Strategy – provide support for the team when managing new projects to deliver the people strategy and facilitate implementation of strategic business objectives. Provide Payroll and Pensions information, in addition to other relevant management information in order to assist with developing operational plans to support delivery of the charity’s people strategy whilst supporting management to deliver appropriate KPI’s. Identify ways to continuously improve Payroll, Pensions, and HR systems administration processes to ensure efficient and effective delivery of a high quality, customer focused service and continued service improvement with appropriate checks and measures to ensure the accuracy of Payroll and Pensions services.
- Additional general responsibility for all staff and in particular as a member of the People and OD team – actively promote the core values of DUK whilst working towards achieving the strategic objectives of the charity, with particular focus on the impact of HR operational plan and people strategy. Support the management team to ensure that Dementia UK fulﬁls its obligations for the health, safety and security all employees and relevant stakeholders. Work with the management team and the HR team to facilitate effective ways of working and people management and to develop high performing and effective teams. Represent Dementia UK in appropriate charity sector initiatives, and ensure that the charity is learning from them and sharing this information with internal and external stakeholders where relevant. Promote equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusiveness to ensure that the management and delivery of HR services and people management through all aspects of the charity is fair, transparent and consistent, and the application of policies and processes without prejudgement or discrimination to all stakeholders.