Detention Action has run an innovative alternative to detention project for ex-offenders at risk of long-term immigration detention for the past five years. The project has demonstrated that, with reintegration support, ex-offenders can live successfully in the community, keeping in contact with immigration authorities and not reoffending. Over this time the project has taken a number of referrals from the Home Office.
The Community Support Project (CSP) provides one-to-one case management and support delivered by an experienced practitioner with extensive experience of working with ex-offenders. Taking a person-centred approach based on intensive engagement and dialogue with clients, the project enables them to develop skills and confidence in order successfully to make the transition to life in the community.
This is an exciting time for the project as we look to expand an already highly successful project, and seek a new Community Support Officer to work with the Community Support Director. The purpose of this role is to be responsible for enabling migrants to make a successful transition from immigration detention and custody to the community.
Main areas of responsibility:
- To provide support to migrants leaving immigration detention or custody, including working with them to draw up a transition plan, identifying and making referrals to services available to them, provide ongoing emotional support and intensive crisis support, recording case notes, face-to-face and by telephone;
- To support and assist migrants to participate in activities in the community and meet their terms of release.
- To develop relationships with organisations working with migrants in the community;
- Alongside the Director and Community Support Manager, to present the project to external stakeholders and partners;
- To represent Detention Action at external meetings and forums;
- To ensure that required paperwork and monitoring is completed, including updating of case files;
- To contribute to the further development of the project, including ongoing review and evaluation, working closely with colleagues to embed the project in our other services;
- To attend internal meetings, including taking minutes;
- To be self-servicing with regards to administrative work.
We will be considering both local and remote candidates for this role.