Development in Action (DiA) is seeking a new Chair to lead our youth and volunteer led organization. The role of Chair is a great opportunity to develop leadership and management skills within a small and dynamic youth-focused organisation, committed to the young people involved in it and the organisations we work with in India. You will be a highly motivated individual, committed to DiA’s mission and values and looking for a new challenge.
DiA is a development education charity working to engage young people in global issues and to promote global citizenship in the UK. We do this through delivering youth workshops, hosting public events, providing an online platform for young people to engage with, and working with partners in India to offer a sustainable and responsible internship programme in India.
DiA operates through a management committee working across four separate teams: India, UK, Communications and Fundraising. The Chair is responsible for the efficient management, support and development of the management committee, and the organisation more broadly, ensuring that committee teams deliver against the organisational strategy.
- Manage, and support two of the four Programme Managers (India, UK, Communications and Fundraising) to deliver their team objectives (working alongside the Vice Chair who will also support two teams).
- Facilitate the planning, development and implementation of annual operations, setting direction through chairing regular committee meetings and focused workshop days.
- Liaise with Trustees to report on activities and work with them to respond to situations of risk and/or emergency in the UK or in India.
- Monitor, with the finance team, the organisational budget and ensure financial procedures are in place and followed systematically across the committee.
- Develop and maintain a strong, positive organisational culture and ensure all activities meet with quality, health and safety and duty of care requirements.
- Represent DiA at external events and respond to opportunities to build further external relationships.
Skills, Qualities and Experience
- Experience in the third sector.
- Proven organisational and coordination skills of projects/programmes.
- Experience of volunteer management as a volunteer or as a volunteer coordinator.
- Understanding of the debates and key issues around international volunteering.
- Commitment to the importance of global citizenship in the contemporary world.
- Ability to work with, and through, others to inspire them to deliver tasks and objectives, including ability to delegate.
- Responsive to time-sensitive situations within an appropriate time-frame.
- Clear thinker in fast-changing situations, with demonstrable decision-making skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including a familiarity of working remotely.
- Knowledge of DiA as an organisation and of our work.
- Experience of stakeholder management.
- Knowledge of current discussion around youth engagement in international development.
Time commitment: Varied. On average: 6-8 hours/week including meetings, but varies depending on activities and time of year. Weekend and evening work required. A minimum commitment of 6 months would be desirable for this role.
Shortlisting for this post will take place soon after the closing date. Initial interviews will take place via skype at the end of May.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.