Reports to: Head of Finance
Responsible for: N/A
Start date: ASAP
Term: Full time
Based in: London
Application deadline: Sunday 13th October 2019
Development Media International (DMI) delivers media campaigns aimed at changing behaviours, promoting health and saving lives in developing countries. We are the first organisation to scientifically demonstrate that mass media can increase life-saving behaviours. DMI recently published the results of its 5-year, £7m randomised controlled trial in West Africa which showed that 56% more children were taken for treatment for malaria, 73% more for diarrhoea and 39% more for pneumonia following exposure to our campaign. Modelling indicates that over 3000 lives were saved during the campaign and that our approach is one of the most cost-effective ways of saving children’s lives.
DMI has two priorities: first, to continue to generate ground-breaking research (we have just completed a second successful randomised control trial measuring our impact on contraceptive uptake), second, to take our proven strategies to scale, saving as many lives as possible. We work across a range of health issues, including child survival, reproductive health, nutrition, hygiene, and early childhood development. DMI works in close partnership with leading experts in health, including WHO, UNICEF and LSHTM and has been funded by some of the world’s most prestigious organisations including the Wellcome Trust, DFID, Comic Relief, the Global Innovation Fund, Unorthodox Philanthropy and the Mulago Foundation.
We are an innovative and rapidly growing organisation, working at the nexus between science and creativity. DMI has demonstrated that knowledge is not only a human right, but is also the key to saving lives in a cost-effective way. Our intellectual rigour, enthusiasm and willingness to learn from both our successes and mistakes, makes us distinct. Our ethos is non-hierarchical: all our staff are intellectually high-powered and we have a “best idea wins” culture. By working at DMI you will have a genuine, measurable impact on improving lives in low-income countries.
DMI has a permanent presence in Burkina Faso, Mozambique and Tanzania and has recently expanded to Cote d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Malawi, Uganda and Zambia. Its regional operations include five more countries in West Africa as well as Burundi. DMI’s headquarters overlooks the Regents Canal in Hoxton, London and provides the strategic direction for the whole organisation.
DMI is ranked as one of the most cost-effective non-profit organisations in the world by GiveWell and was the first organisation to receive the maximum rating from Impact Matters. It is also endorsed by the Centre for Effective Altruism, Giving What We Can and The Life You Can Save.
Find out more on our website.
DMI is looking for a Finance Manager to join our small, friendly and dynamic London team. The Finance Manager will implement a broader cross-department role to improve management information and add capacity to DMI UK’s finance team (we operate a shared service financial model).
Working with the Head of Finance and the Finance Officers in the UK, and liaising with relevant staff in DMI’s international offices, the successful candidate will play an important part in ensuring that DMI’s finances are managed effectively and in line with internal policies and statutory requirements.
This is an ideal position for someone with some previous experience in a finance role, or a fully qualified finance professional. Working as part of the head office staff for a company that operates internationally you will gain broad experience of how the finance function works in the international development sector.
More specifically, the Finance Manager’s role will include the following responsibilities:
- Managing, maintaining and, where necessary, developing, effective, accountable and accurate systems for recording and monitoring financial transactions for DMI income and expenditure (~£6m turnover per annum) in the UK and overseas.
- Preparing budgets (including budget variance reports), cash flow forecasts, management accounts and other reports as appropriate to aid financial management and decision making at operational/project and strategic/organisational levels within DMI.
- Providing financial support to DMI’s business development team by supporting the development of accurate budgets for inclusion in project proposals, as well as contributing advice on other financial aspects of proposals or contracts.
- Ensuring that DMI complies with all relevant financial legislation in the UK and any relevant legislation in the countries where DMI works. This includes preparing year-end financial accounts and leading on year-end audit processes across the DMI group (including audits of DMI’s oversees entities). This also includes UK and overseas payroll and VAT (or equivalent) reporting.
- Acting as the point of contact on financial matters with donor organisations or funders. This may include clarifying donor reporting and procurement requirements as well as ensuring that expenditure is incurred and reported in line with donor stipulations.
- Working effectively with, and mentoring, DMI’s Finance Assistants in the UK, and providing (predominantly remote) support and advice to overseas staff with financial responsibilities (including staff with financial and non-financial backgrounds).
- Providing support and financial advice/expertise to the Director of Operations and Finance, Head of Finance, and other staff as appropriate, including preparing and presenting reports to Board members, senior managers and other stakeholders in formal meetings.
- Other duties as required by DMI.
Required knowledge, skills and experience
- Fully qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CA or equivalent) with at least 2 year’s post qualification.
- Strong intellectual ability, with the capacity to flexibly manage multiple tasks / priorities.
- Experience of accounting for a complex project, or multiple projects, including budget-setting and monitoring. If no direct project accounting experience then experience using and analysing accounting system data.
- Knowledge of UK taxation including payroll taxes, VAT and corporation tax.
- Understanding of standard business procedures around procurement and other financial controls.
- Excellent IT skills with some experience of operating computer-based financial management systems (DMI uses QuickBooks). Competent to advanced level in Microsoft Excel.
- Willingness and ability to take the initiative not only in identifying problems but also in suggesting and implementing solutions.
- An eye for detail and a concern for accuracy, together with the ability to keep sight of the broader picture.
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience
- Language ability in French or Portuguese or other major global language, both written and spoken.
- Experience of working with geographically displaced colleagues (ideally overseas).
- Experience of working in the NGO/international development sector, and ensuring compliance with International donors’ requirements.
As we are currently recruiting for several new roles, we will be holding an open evening at our headquarters on Tuesday 1st October. If you are interested in attending, please contact us via our website.