Reports to: Director of Strategy & Development
Responsible for: n/a
Start date: ASAP
Term: Full time, permanent
Based in: London (N1)
Salary: £55k-60k per annum, dependent on experience plus 5% pension contribution and private healthcare
Application deadline: Sunday 13th October 2019
Development Media International (DMI) delivers media campaigns aimed at changing behaviours, promoting health and saving lives in developing countries. We are the first organisation to scientifically demonstrate that mass media can increase life-saving behaviours. DMI recently published the results of its 5-year, £7m randomised controlled trial in West Africa which showed that 56% more children were taken for treatment for malaria, 73% more for diarrhoea and 39% more for pneumonia following exposure to our campaign. Modelling indicates that over 3000 lives were saved during the campaign and that our approach is one of the most cost-effective ways of saving children’s lives.
DMI has two priorities: first, to continue to generate ground-breaking research (we have just completed a second successful randomised control trial measuring our impact on contraceptive uptake), second, to take our proven strategies to scale, saving as many lives as possible. We work across a range of health issues, including child survival, reproductive health, nutrition, hygiene, and early childhood development. DMI works in close partnership with leading experts in health, including WHO, UNICEF and LSHTM and has been funded by some of the world’s most prestigious organisations including the Wellcome Trust, DFID, Comic Relief, the Global Innovation Fund, Unorthodox Philanthropy and the Mulago Foundation.
We are an innovative and rapidly growing organisation, working at the nexus between science and creativity. DMI has demonstrated that knowledge is not only a human right, but is also the key to saving lives in a cost-effective way. Our intellectual rigour, enthusiasm and willingness to learn from both our successes and mistakes, makes us distinct. Our ethos is non-hierarchical: all our staff are intellectually high-powered and we have a “best idea wins” culture. By working at DMI you will have a genuine, measurable impact on improving lives in low-income countries.
DMI has a permanent presence in Burkina Faso, Mozambique and Tanzania and has recently expanded to Cote d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Malawi, Uganda and Zambia. Its regional operations include five more countries in West Africa as well as Burundi. DMI’s headquarters overlooks the Regents Canal in Hoxton, London and provides the strategic direction for the whole organisation.
DMI is ranked as one of the most cost-effective non-profit organisations in the world by GiveWell and was the first organisation to receive the maximum rating from Impact Matters. It is also endorsed by the Centre for Effective Altruism, Giving What We Can and The Life You Can Save. DMI’s funders include institutional funders (such as DFID, UNFPA, GCC and GIF) and large Foundations (Wellcome, Bernard van Leer Foundation and Jacobs Foundation).
Find out more on our website.
DMI is looking for a Senior Strategy Manager to support the development and evolution of DMI’s strategy and maximise the global positive impact of DMI’s work. The Senior Strategy Manager will build and manage partnerships with funders and other stakeholders who are interested in our approach, with the aim of designing high impact projects that will dramatically improve global health.
The Senior Strategy Manager will join DMI’s small, friendly and dynamic London team. He or she will work closely with the Director of Strategy and Development. This role offers excellent benefits, a competitive salary, the potential to travel and the opportunity to make a real difference through your work.
More specifically, the Senior Strategy Manager’s role will include the following responsibilities:
- Developing and managing relationships with key stakeholders who are interested in our approach, including funders (in particular bilateral and multilateral organisations, foundations, companies and high net worth individuals), governments, implementers and the media.
- Identifying opportunities for developing new mass media projects in developing countries, and designing projects that will save lives or improve health while also meeting the strategic priorities of both DMI and funders.
- Writing and submitting successful concept notes and proposals to secure funding for those projects.
- Supporting the development and evolution of DMI’s strategy in order to maximise the global impact of DMI’s work. Engaging with networks and undertaking ongoing horizon scanning, with the aim of improving strategy practice and ensuring that DMI is preparing for and adjusting to opportunities and threats.
- Communicating DMI’s brand and work to stakeholders through writing briefing notes and documents, presentations, and content for the DMI website.
- Other tasks as required by DMI.
You’ll have the excellent analytic, planning and communication skills needed to design and pitch complex, often multi-country, projects to some of the most prestigious funders in the world. We’re agnostic about your background, it could be strategy, charity, consulting, or corporate, as long as you have the intellectual horsepower and problem solving skills to work flexibly in a fast paced environment across a range of disciplines.
Required knowledge, skills and experience
- Substantial experience of writing successful and engaging pitches, proposals, presentations or analytical reports.
- Outstanding writing skills in English. The successful candidate must be able to communicate concisely, clearly and with flair.
- Excellent general communication skills, with an ability to conduct meetings authoritatively, to present well in public, and to enthuse donors.
- Ability to develop complex project budgets.
- Very strong intellectual ability, as evidenced by a good degree, similar qualifications or extensive appropriate experience in a relevant field and performance at interview.
- Excellent IT skills, including the ability to use web-based content management systems and customer relationship management systems, proficiency on common office applications and general web literacy.
- Ability to work in a team environment with technical and non-technical staff and to manage effective collaboration between partners and stakeholders, including those with differing agendas.
- Self-motivated and dynamic. High capacity for work, and resilient and good-humoured under pressure.
- Creative, inventive and flexible approach to work; a passion for excellence.
- Potential to develop a detailed understanding of the applications of mass media and of public health issues.
- Permission to live and work in the UK.
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience
- Language skills in French or Portuguese.
- Experience of working in developing countries, for an NGO or in international development.
- Knowledge and experience working within global health and/or mass media environments.
- Experience of managing and leading strategic communications or external affairs.
- Experience of securing grants from large funders including foundations, institutional donors and philanthropists.
As we are currently recruiting for several new roles, we will be holding an open evening at our headquarters on Tuesday 1st October. If you are interested in attending, please contact us through our website.