Interested in managing some life-changing projects across the world? Join Development Pathways!
Development Pathways is a leading advisory services and project management organisation in the areas of social protection, social development, poverty and vulnerability analysis, payment systems and financial inclusion, monitoring and evaluation, research and training. We have our head office in London, UK, and a subsidiary in Nairobi, Kenya. Our offices are located in the Orpington area (Greater London, United Kingdom) and Nairobi (Kenya).
The Senior Operations Manager (SOM) will be based in our London office where we have three technical teams delivering projects focused on social policy, financial inclusion and social and economic analysis, delivered across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Pacific. The SOM will directly support the Chief Operating Officer and work across all three teams, managing a team of 4 programme officers and assistants. The job will involve some international travel, but no more than 6 weeks per year.
For more information about our organisation, please visit our website.
The Senior Operations Manager will lead our UK programme management team to ensure effective and efficient management and administration of our projects worldwide that are delivered by our London office.
- Project Administration and Management
- Ensure the delivery of all projects within our London office within their agreed timeline, budget, scope and to high quality, working alongside the Heads of the Technical Units;
- Ensure all project procedures, administration and systems are functioning and effective e.g. contracting and invoicing, and travel and security policies;
- Oversee the financial management of projects, including forecasting, and regular reporting on variances;
- Support the Heads of Technical Units to ensure that systems for the quality assurance of deliverables are functioning and effective;
- Ensure the filing and archiving of project documentation and support the reporting on all projects, ensuring that the Chief Operating Officer and Heads of Technical Units are adequately informed of progress;
- Help build strong and productive relations with clients and partner organisations, supporting contract negotiations, ensuring contract compliance and administration, and effective communications on behalf of the Chief Operating Officer and Heads of Technical Units;
- Ensure that consultants are given effective support and develop a strong allegiance to Development Pathways;
- Ensure regular and accurate monthly financial forecasts;
- Oversee risk management processes for the London office;
- Provide oversight and support to field operations teams across all projects.
2. People Management
- Provide effective line management, advice, support, professional development and mentorship to Programme Officers and Programme Assistants in our London Office.
- Lead the recruitment and training of new Programme Officers and Administrative Assistants within the Social Policy Team
- Undertake other activities as required.
The Senior Programme Manager must have the following qualifications, skills and competencies:
Essential Qualifications and Skills:
- Undergraduate degree in Management, International Relations, Social Policy, Business Management, Law or other relevant discipline;
- Seven (7) years of experience in project management, operations and administrative management, with skills that are transferable to international development projects;
- 5 years of experience in managing individuals and teams;
- Excellent interpersonal, time management and communications skills;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently;
- Commitment to social justice, gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- PRINCE2, PMP or another project management qualification desirable;
- Masters degree.
- Experience of international development.
Terms of Employment and Benefits
Salary will be assessed during the selection process, to reflect level of experience and qualification.
The successful candidate would receive an attractive package inclulding:
- Entry into the company pension scheme;
- Entry into the bonus scheme;
- Flexible working practices;
- 30 days holiday in a year (excluding public/bank holidays);
- Group life assurance;
- Company laptop;
- And, upon satisfactory completion of the probationary period of 6 months, access into the company private health insurance scheme.
Equality and diversity are at the core of Development Pathways’ values. In the selection of our staff, we are committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and are inclusive of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
How to apply
We invite interested candidates, who meet the requirements, to email their applications.
Applications must include:
- A cover letter of up to 2 pages explaining why you are applying for this position, and how your experience and skills meet the requirements of this position;
- A Curriculum Vitae (maximum of four pages) specifying your qualifications, education and relevant work experience.
If successful, we will expect the names, email addresses and day-time contact numbers of two referees, one of them being your current line manager/supervisor (please do not send this information with your application).
Please also note that this position is only open to those who have the right to reside and work in the UK, so we will expect relevant proof of such, if asked for an interview (please do not send this information with your application).
Closing date for this post 23rd February 2020.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and a successful candidate may be selected prior to the closing date. Candidates are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible.
Shortlisted candidates will undertake an initial telephone interview and then invited to undertake an assessment of their skills and participate in an interview.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.