We have vision to want people to live well and longer with diabetes and to cure or prevent diabetes. As a Research Manager, you will join an exciting and busy team with a strong reputation for supporting high quality diabetes research. The role supports the Diabetes Research Steering Groups (DRSGs) which bring together researchers, healthcare professionals and people affected by diabetes, who together identify areas of unmet need and ways to stimulate research in these areas. The DRSGs are central to the delivery of the Diabetes UK organisational and research strategies and are critical to ensuring the diabetes research taking place in the UK has the most impact and is informed by the needs of people affected by diabetes.
Interview Dates: 8 & 9 November 2021
What we can offer you:
- Generous annual leave starting at 25 days plus bank holidays
- A Cash Healthcare Plan (giving you up to £1,500 towards a range of out of pocket health expenses like new glasses, dentist, chiropractor or osteopath appointments)
- Early finish Friday and flexible working as part of our approach to activity based working
- Discounts on gym membership
- Employee assistance programme to give you support on any issues that come up in life
- Annual season ticket loan* (on completion of your probation period and if contract is permanent or longer than 12 months)
- Very active social scene including sport teams, gardening and other activities
- Generous pension provision, life assurance and income protection insurance
- Cycle to work scheme* (eligible for scheme if contract is permanent or longer than 12 months)
*Some benefits aren't available until you've passed your probation period and are dependent on the length of contract.
As part of this role, you will lead the delivery of the DRSGs and their associated fora, with support from the Research Officer. You will support the DRSG members, who work to strategically identify priority research areas and find ways to make the key research studies needed to move diabetes care forward. You will lead the development and improvement of the involvement and participation of people with diabetes within the work of the DRSGs. As part of this role, you will work across the organisational strategic outcomes to take collaborate with colleagues on DRSG research priorities identified, build relationships with the research community, relevant research funders, and other organisations.
As a Research Manager, you will have a BSc in biomedical sciences, and will be looking to establish a career in patient driven research. You will have an understanding of the medical research funding landscape in the UK, how this is applied to a clinical setting and of the interfaces between research funding organisations and the academic sector. In addition, you will be confident in developing and maintaining excellent relationships and networking with a range of experts. Excellent organisation and communication skills are vital, as is an ability to work as part of a team. You will have some project management and task/managerial experience, be able to work in a busy office environment, show confidence when working under pressure, be able to manage multiple work streams, as well as being able to work independently.
Please note that all job offers are subject to you providing acceptable evidence of your eligibility to work in the UK. You might find the following resources useful:
If you have any questions, please contact