Dignity exists to bring people to Jesus through community and through this, to eradicate poverty in all its forms. (This includes poverty of spirit, mind, health, community, finances and environment.)
Dignity runs an annual series of events that increase awareness about our work, garner prayer and raise money in support of our work. Whether it is an Open Office creating a space for people to pop in and a catch up with our work or a sponsored bike ride across the width of the country, each event plays a crucial part in sustaining our work to bring people to Jesus through community and to eradicate poverty.
We are looking for volunteers who can commit to plan and deliver one event per year, ideally for 3 years. Our events should remain true to our values. They can be pioneering (we are willing to try something new), they should value people (we create fun events that people enjoy) and they should create ways in which we can work together (be it through volunteering, prayer or generosity) to further the work of Dignity. The time and skills needed to organise each event differs depending on the nature of the event. If you enjoy organising, are good at connecting with people, are forward thinking, and you love fun then you would be ideally placed to organise an event for us!
- Based on your availability and skillset, we will agree together the event that you will organise.
- We will provide clear objectives and targets for the event.
- You will create an outline plan including any required expenditure and key dates for us to agree together.
- Based on the agreed outline you will plan, design, produce and deliver the event.
- You will look for and manage volunteers for the event. We will assist by asking for volunteers within our supporter network.
- You will liaise with all those connected to the event (eg. venues, caterers or speakers).
- We will liaise with our insurers to ensure correct public liability cover is in place.
- We will work together to coordinate marketing and PR to promote and publicise the event.
- You will proactively handle any issues that arise and troubleshoot any emerging problems during the event.
- After the event, we will meet to review the event, noting successes and areas we could improve for future events.
- Ideas for new events are welcomed!
- You are welcome to work in our office space in Didsbury (Tuesday – Friday, 9.00-5.30) or remotely.
Our Commitment to You
- We will value you and the time you give us.
- We will agree clear timescales with you.
- We will provide an induction to ensure the task is clear.
- We will communicate clearly with you.
- We will answer any questions you have about the work in a timely and kind manner.
- We will provide assistance and support as required.
- We will provide free tea and coffee if you choose to work in our office!
Your Commitment to Us
- You will commit to organise an agreed event. Our simplest events such as a prayer meeting or open office would typically require 2 or 3 days’ work. Our larger events such as a team challenge or a quiz night take between 10 and 15 days to organise. A list of events for 2020 is included on the next page.
- You will bring your creativity and imagination to the event.
- You will manage the event on the day.
- You will act with professionalism and kindness whenever you are representing Dignity.
- You will communicate clearly with us, providing us with regular updates on progress and letting us know if any unforeseen delays occur.
- If you are unsure about anything, you will ask us even if you think it might be a silly question!
- Ideally you will organise the same (or similar event) for 3 years to provide continuity. We understand that you may only be able to commit for 1 year at a time.
Please note that while some preparation work can be done from home, this role will require you to be able to travel to the Dignity office or to event locations. Reasonable travel costs will be reimbursed with prior agreement.