The Diocese of Southwark is seeking an experienced Finance Director to support the work of one of the largest, and most diverse dioceses in the Church of England. It serves a growing population and is seeking to grow God’s Kingdom, across South London and some of East Surrey, covering some 15 local planning authorities. Founded in 1905, it forms part of the Province of Canterbury in England and is part of the wider Church of England, and in turn part of the worldwide Anglican Communion. The Diocese is a Christian presence across the diocese and seeks to build and share the Christian faith through nearly 300 parishes, for which it is also Custodian Trustee. The Diocese works in partnership with the parishes and is also committed to investing in its parishes to encourage growth. Clergy, congregations, schools and chaplaincies all play significant roles in its work and it has a particular concern for those most in need.
Reporting directly to the Diocesan Secretary and a member of the senior management team, we are looking for an experienced Financial Director, ideally with an interest or background in church and charity finances. This role has arisen following a retirement announcement. One major requirement for this role will be continuously building financial resilience and contributing to the ongoing shaping of investment and reserves policies post Covid, and the review and implementation of a new finance system in the next few years. The Director of Finance and Financial Investments will lead the Finance Department of the Diocese, which is both an internal function and is also outwardly focused. This therefore includes proactive management of financial assets, and also collaborative team working with senior clergy and other teams and includes provision of specialist advice to Parishes and Deaneries. You will work closely with the Diocesan Secretary with whom you will regularly present to and brief trustees and enable the Diocesan administration to deliver its objectives in line with the vision, values, and aims of the Diocese.
This is an important role for the right person with the following attributes to take a significant part in the work of the Diocese. We are looking for someone who enjoys working collaboratively:
- To lead the Finance Department of the Diocese, which provides full financial and accounting services
- To support and contribute to Diocesan financial asset investment strategy that will enhance the assets of the Diocese to enable it to support mission and ministry
- To identify and implement a new financial accounting system (by 2025)
- To be a key member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), under the guidance and leadership of the Diocesan Secretary
We would love to hear from you if you:
- Are a qualified member of a recognised accountancy professional body
- Have knowledge of charitable accounting regulations (SORPs)
- Have experience in compliance, governance and internal control
- Have experience of leading and managing a finance function including staff management
- Are Capable of ensuring that IT systems, both financial and those related to other data and processes, are used to their maximum benefit
- Have a strong commitment to the culture and ethos of the Church of England
Please apply by visiting the Thewlis Graham website, by clicking to apply, and following the instructions in the candidate brief quoting reference U0102. The closing date is 5pm on 27 January 2021.
For a confidential conversation with Sarah Thewlis or for any other information please follow instructions on the Thewlis Graham website.