Here at Doorstep Library we believe in the power of words to take you places. We are a not-for-profit community organisation dedicated to bringing the gift of books and the joy of reading into the homes of families across London who need our support, reading with them and their children to inspire a love of books, of stories and storytelling, and to instil a lifelong passion for reading.
Equipped with a reading stool and a supply of books, our volunteers are right on the doorstep, ready to use books to fuel children’s natural love of stories, fire their imaginations, and encourage their appreciation of reading. Our goal is to help each child develop the self-confidence and essential skills they need to access all the opportunities that will come their way in life. Whether in person, or online, we are there to support children and families who need us most.
The organisation has gone from strength to strength. Now in our 10th year we will shortly be expanding into our fourth London borough and launching our new Virtual Reading Corner service – bringing our unique service to even more families.
- Strategic responsibility for the operations of the charity, including finance, IT and human resources;
- To work closely with the SMT and actively contribute to the overall strategy and direction of the charity;
- To ensure the effective day-to-day running of the charity.
Responsible to: CEO;
Responsible for: Operational management and strategy, finance, IT and human resources. Managing the Finance Officer.
About the role
We are looking for a Head of Operations to report to the Chief Executive Officer. This full-time role will have ultimate responsibility for ensuring adequate resourcing and managing programme budgets. The successful candidate will sit on the Senior Management Team, working closely with the CEO, Head of Marketing & Communications, Head of Programmes and Head of Fundraising & Partnerships.
You will have substantial, proven experience of working in an operational role, ideally in the third sector and in managing financial systems. You will be a highly organised people-person and will be responsible for line managing the Finance Officer.
Finally, you will be truly passionate about the work that we do to support children and families in disadvantaged areas of London. As part of our expansion, we are currently setting up new on-the-ground projects and launching our brand new online reading service (Virtual Reading Corner). To support this expansion we are growing our team and this position will be key to ensuring we have the infrastructure in place to enable us to attract, develop and retain staff. The right person will be able to hit the ground running to help us deal with the challenges of the coming year, creating a return to the office strategy and supporting a new mixed model of delivery.
- Strategic responsibility for the operations of the charity, including finance, IT and human resources
- Ensure the effective day-to-day running of the charity
- To work closely with the SMT and actively contribute to the overall strategy and direction of the charity
Finance and Operations
- Long term strategic financial planning, including costing and modelling for longer term expansion
- To ensure that budgets are monitored and maintained across the network
- Overall management of operational budgets, forecasting, targets and financial performance against business plans
- Working with the Finance Officer to produce annual accounts
- Ensure that all services/goods received in kind are recorded and used for maximum benefit
- To ensure that finance systems are in place across the charity for transparency and monitoring purposes
- Support the fundraising and marketing teams with budgets and financial reporting to stakeholders
- Oversee the overall governance of the charity, including full compliance with statutory requirements, charity and company law, quality assurance and health and safety
- Ensure appropriate risk and contingency plans are in place to anticipate risks and outline appropriate action to be taken to minimise impact
- Oversee the equipment needs of employees and the charity as a whole
- Oversee the management of contracts and services for IT hardware, software and communications
HR and Line Management
- Oversee processes relating to human resources need, including personnel development, performance management and objective setting and reviews for all staff
- Lead on staff recruitment, and where relevant, to work in partnership with the other members of the SMT including preparing job specs, advertising and short-listing
- Ensure all policies and procedures are revised and up to date at all times
- Ensuring that all contractors, staff and volunteers are appointed in compliance with our equal opportunities policy and in line with Doorstep Library values
- To carry out all duties and responsibilities in line with Doorstep Library’s policies and procedures
- To undertake additional duties as from time to time may be required.
Salary - £40,000 per annum – permanent
Hours – 35 per week
Benefits – 6% pension contribution, 25 days per annum annual leave, flexible working arrangements (including working from home part of the week).
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.