Here at Doorstep Library we believe in the power of words to take you places. We are a not-for-profit community organisation dedicated to bringing the gift of books and the joy of reading into the homes of families across London who need our support, reading with them and their children to inspire a love of books, of stories and storytelling, and to instil a lifelong passion for reading.
Equipped with a reading stool and a supply of books, our volunteers are right on the doorstep, ready to use books to fuel children’s natural love of stories, fire their imaginations, and encourage their appreciation of reading. Our goal is to help each child develop the self-confidence and essential skills they need to access all the opportunities that will come their way in life. Whether in person, or online, we are there to support children and families who need us most.
The organisation has gone from strength to strength. Now in our 10th year we will shortly be expanding into our fourth London borough and launching our new Virtual Reading Corner service – bringing our unique service to even more families.
About the role
As part of our expansion work we are currently setting up new on-the-ground projects and launching our brand new online reading service (Online Reading Corner). We are also in the process of launching a new website which features a Family Resources area and a new members areas for Volunteers. To enable us to meet the needs of more families we need to recruit new volunteers for both our online and our home reading volunteer services.
We are looking to appoint a Volunteer Coordinator to support the Projects team with the scheduling and logistics of all volunteers. This full-time role will ensure volunteers are successfully paired up each week for both the online reading service and on-the-ground visits. You will have experience of working with volunteers, ideally in the third sector. You will be a highly organised people-person with proven administrative and communication skills. Finally, you will be truly passionate about the work that we do to support children and families in disadvantaged areas of London and helping us to build a team of committed and passionate volunteers.
It is also a requirement of this role that you become a weekly Doorstep Library Home and/or Online Reading Volunteer so that you can support the needs of our volunteers with an in-depth understanding of our volunteering process.
Working from: This role is a mixture between office (based in Victoria) and home based (a computer is provided). Currently all staff are working from home.
- To support the volunteer management /projects team with the successful delivery of the home and online volunteering programmes
- To assist the volunteer management team with administrative tasks associated with recruiting, on-boarding and retaining volunteers
- To support the Projects team to ensure all volunteers, across the projects, are successfully paired for their reading sessions each week
- To assist the Projects team with research into signposting support organisations and other administrative tasks as needed
- To be the main point of contact for volunteers, ensuring effective communication and enquiries are dealt with in a timely manner
- To conduct 4 and 12 weekly check ins with all new volunteers to ensure they are enjoying their volunteering experience/highlight any areas for development
- To conduct yearly supervisions for stand-in volunteers
- To volunteer at an online or home-based reading session each week
- To carry out all duties and responsibilities in line with Doorstep Library’s policies and procedures
- To undertake additional duties as from time to time may be required.
Salary - £23,000 per annum
Hours – 35 per week
Benefits – 6% pension contribution, 25 days per annum annual leave, flexible working arrangements (including working from home part of the week).
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.