Researcher/Campaigner: Latin America
Interested in an exciting, investigative role which helps protect forests, the climate and human rights? This may be the job for you.
Earthsight is looking for a researcher/campaigner to work alongside our Latin America Team Lead delivering impactful research, analyses and advocacy on forest-risk-commodity supply chains.
Earthsight is a non-profit organisation dedicated to researching and investigating environmental and social crime and injustice. We use cutting-edge investigative methods to uncover and expose wrongdoing. Since emerging as a fully-fledged organisation in 2016, our reports have garnered headlines, won awards and triggered major changes by governments and corporations.
We seek to create positive change by influencing government policy, uncovering greenwash and raising awareness among key constituencies about the impacts of global supply chains on the world’s forests and forest communities.
Most global deforestation is driven by industrial production of a handful of major commodities, including beef, soy, palm oil and wood. A large chunk of this production is to meet demand in Western consumer markets. Over the past few years, Earthsight has played a key role in highlighting the complicity of corporations and consumers in the EU, UK and US in the destruction of forests overseas, as well as the abuses of local people which accompany that destruction. As part of a global coalition, we have succeeded in getting laws passed or under development in all those jurisdictions which aim to clean up these supply chains. But now we need to ensure those laws are enforced.
This role will be key to that. As part of a small team, you will monitor developments in Latin America and with the most important commodities driving deforestation and forest degradation there, including beef, leather, soy, cotton, wood. You will help deliver in-depth investigations which expose large companies for sourcing products linked to horrific abuses, and trigger government action in response.
The position is offered as a full-time permanent contract. The successful candidate would preferably be based in the UK and able to come into our office in London regularly. Earthsight is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to ensuring careers in the charity sector are open to all. We value difference and believe it enhances our capabilities. We therefore particularly encourage applications from people from a range of different backgrounds.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Monitor relevant media, NGO, think-tank, government and academic reports on EU, UK and US beef, leather, soy, cotton and wood supply chains linked to forests in Latin America, particularly Brazil and Paraguay
- Monitor developments with industry lobbying efforts – particularly in relation to certification and traceability systems and technologies
- Provide regular summaries from this monitoring to the Latin America Team Lead
- Build and maintain a strong understanding of relevant trade links between key Latin America countries and consumer countries/regions of particular interest (e.g. EU, UK, US), through analysis of third-party reports, raw trade data and shipment records
- Keep abreast of wider policy and industry developments in key Latin America countries, including case studies of deforestation or rights abuses related to the commodities of concern, general developments with forests and with government policy related to the impact of commodities on forests
- Carry out additional desk research into chosen case studies, including by exploring shipment data, company reports and websites, satellite imagery, corporate records and trading websites, and holding remote meetings with relevant actors including researchers and activists in the countries concerned
- Assist in planning and carrying out field research on selected cases if needed
- Provide detailed reports of research findings for internal review
- Assist with turning research findings into published reports, analyses, policy messages and recommendations, films and other external outputs
- Assist with turning research findings into policy messages and recommendations
- Assist with efforts to secure media coverage for reports, analyses and op-eds, including by helping draft press releases and brief journalists on details of research
- Support Latin America Team Lead in developing and implementing advocacy activities based on research findings and the organisation’s overall strategic goals, including by participating in meetings with policymakers, civil servants, NGOs and other key stakeholders
- Help build and maintain relevant contacts, including with NGOs, journalists and researchers in key countries
- Other suitable tasks as required by the Latin America Team Lead
- At least two years’ experience working as a researcher or campaigner on environmental, forests, climate change, human rights or a related field
- Excellent research and/or campaigning skills with proven ability to analyse and use information from a variety of sources to produce meaningful content or influence a desired campaign outcome
- Strong writing skills, with ability to produce compelling, impactful and persuasive texts in English for external audiences
- Ability to establish and maintain effective contacts and relationships
- Strong attention to detail and factual accuracy
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Self-motivated and collaborative team player
- Experience conducting research in Latin America
- Experience working with shipment records and satellite imagery
- Fluency in either Portuguese or Spanish
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Excel
- Knowledge of GIS software and platforms
- Formal training in investigative methods, such as OSINT
Among what Earthsight offers is:
- Generous employer’s pension contribution
- Flexible and hybrid working policies
- 25 days annual leave with one extra day for every year with the organisation (up to 30 days)
- Cycling to work scheme
How to apply
Please complete the application form by Tuesday 5 December 2023. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview and a writing or research test. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.