Tutor / Learning Assistant (Life Skills)
Cyrenians provide care, support and housing in London for people who may be homeless, have a learning disability or a mental health need. Our aim is to provide a safe and secure environment to help people recover and maximise their potential. Cyrenians services place people at the heart of their communities and help them to develop the skills to live independent lives in the way they choose. Cyrenians work with local people in an environment that promotes and embraces diversity and the differences that make people individuals.
Our customers have often had previous experiences of disadvantage, prejudice and discrimination. We ensure that we work with everyone in a way that respects and promotes choice, privacy and dignity.
Position: Life Skills Tutor
Job Type: Part Time, Permanent
Hours: 20 - 25 hours per week, 4 - 5 hours per day, Monday to Friday, flexibility considered
Salary: £9,097-13,740 dependent on experience and qualifications (based on FTE of £18,195-£22,000).
Benefits: Annual Leave 25 days per annum plus Bank Holidays, pro rata; pension scheme
- Plan, prepare, deliver and assess Life Skills sessions for groups and individual adults with Mental Health and Complex Needs and / or Learning Disabilities, in their own homes in supported accommodation
- Prepare and review session plans, schemes of work and teaching and learning materials using initial assessments and assessed work to take into account the learners’ individual needs
- Improve learners’ experiences through development of teaching methods and strategies
- Monitor learners’ wellbeing and recognise and report any deterioration in physical / mental health
- Work with learners to challenge behaviours that create risk and establish agreed boundaries and expectations
- Embed Equality and Diversity in the sessions
- Continually monitor and review learners’ progress and support
- Act on feedback from observations of teaching and learning
- Accurately complete all relevant paperwork in line with company procedures
- Undertake necessary training to professionally develop and keep abreast of current practices and legislation within the sector
- Carry out all duties and responsibilities in accordance with Cyrenians’ policies and procedures. In particular to: Comply with the Health and Safety Policy and Safety and Risk Manual. Comply with the Safeguarding Policies. Comply with the Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy. Maintain the confidentiality of all information connected to customers (learners), other members of staff and to Cyrenians’ business, ensuring data protection.
- Teaching qualification, ideally a diploma in Education & Training; DTLLS or equivalent would be desired
- Experience of supporting teaching and learning
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and numeracy
- Ability to plan, prepare, deliver and assess Life Skills sessions for groups and individual adults with Mental Health and Complex Needs or Learning Disabilities
- Ability to motivate and encourage learner participation
- Ability to organise own work and work on own initiative
- Good computer skills including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Understanding of Health and Safety practice and legislation
- Knowledge and understanding of the safeguarding of vulnerable adults
- Commitment to promoting Equal Opportunities and to valuing diversity
You may have experience of the following: Life Skills Tutor, Lecturer, Teacher, Tutor, Teaching, Tutoring, Education, Learner Support, Additional Learning Support, Learning Assistant, Teaching Assistant, etc.