Does the follow describe you?
- Passionate about reaching out to, and engaging with, the public on behalf of Middle East Christians and the vulnerable and marginalised communities they serve.
- Has the experience and desire to help meet our goal to be the go to Christian charity working in this field.
- Works collaboratively and imaginatively with colleagues to take all that Embrace offers – opportunities for encounter, volunteering, fundraising, advocacy, and campaigning - to a new level.
- Inspired to help us to raise the funds we need to support our programming and outreach work
If so, please read on..
About Embrace the Middle East
Embrace the Middle East is a long established ecumenical charity working with Christian partners from across the ecumenical spectrum in the Middle East. We are three and a half years into our five year Faith in Action Strategy 2016-2020. In the current plan period we had three specific goals: to increase our funding from £3-5m; to increase our grants to partners by 50% to £3m and to extend our partner base from four to five or six countries; to broaden, deepen and sharpen our advocacy and to engage and inspire more people in the UK, especially Christians to engage with the social witness of Middle East Christians, especially our partners (we currently have fifty partners in six countries).
We are on track to achieve the first two goals. We have made great strides to meet the third, but we want to step up a level, and we know that a broader and deeper realisation of the third goal will be a major focus for our next five year plan. We want to be the most influential Christian charity working in partnership with Middle East Christians, representing their interests in the UK and building bridges between Christians here and Christians there.
About the role
As Head of Public Engagement you will shape and drive the implementation of Embrace the Middle East’s advocacy strategy and lead the development of the Charity's Public Engagement and outreach ambitions, particularly focusing on Churches and congregations across the UK.
You will be a member of the senior leadership team reporting to the CEO and working hand in hand with the Directors of Fundraising & Marketing and Programmes & Partnerships. The Public Engagement team is a highly skilled and motivated group, including three staff who work remotely in Scotland, the Midlands and Yorkshire. All understand their roles and are deeply committed to the work of Embrace.
- As part of the Senior Leadership group to contribute to the strategic direction of the Charity as a whole and to be accountable for the Public Engagement team’s contribution to the Charity’s continuing success.
- Work with the CEO to develop a strategy to enhance Embrace’s efforts to engage UK Christians in better understanding, and supporting Middle East Christians, and the vulnerable and marginalised communities they serve.
- Shape and drive the implementation of Embrace the Middle East’s advocacy strategy.
- Manage a church/congregation engagement strategy for the Public Engagement Team as a whole to grow support for Embrace through prayer, increased awareness and the generation of sustainable income.
- Oversight of the volunteering strategy, managed by Senior Public Engagement Manager, to grow number of high quality volunteers.
- Oversight of Embrace’s events programme, managed by Events Manager.
Working for Embrace the Middle East offers staff:-
The opportunity to work with a talented group of committed and passionate people.
Support to achieve a healthy work/life balance through flexible working arrangements. An environment that values everyone’s contribution and pays a fair wage, alongside excellent employee benefits.
We are looking for a dynamic and collaborative leader who would relish leading a group of parliamentarians or church leaders into the field, helping them see the difference they can make and enlisting their support.
You will want to help our supporters to develop their concern into a deeper spiritual and practical engagement, influencing, campaigning and giving. Suitable applicants will have worked at a senior level, and if not, are ready to. You will have experience working with Christian churches, thinkers, theologians, people driven to work for change because they are passionate about God’s justice. You will be committed to the Christian values of Embrace and have the aptitude to preach at church services or give a presentation and inspire listeners to get involved with our work
There is an Occupational Requirement under the Equality Act 2010 (Schedule 9, Part 1, Section 3) that the person appointed be a practising Christian.
Embrace the Middle East is an equal opportunities employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding and child protection.
Please note that in order to be considered for this position you need to have the right to work in the UK, either through nationality or relevant work visa.
Thank you for your interest in Embrace the Middle East.