EMERGENCY is an international organisation that provides free, high-quality healthcare to victims of war, poverty and landmines, alongside building hospitals and training local medical staff. Founded in 1994, EMERGENCY has treated over 11 million people in 19 different countries and currently operates in Afghanistan, Eritrea, Iraq, Italy, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Uganda, and Yemen.
EMERGENCY UK is an independent charitable organisation that supports EMERGENCY’s projects with fundraising and communications activities.
Who are we looking for and what will you do?
EMERGENCY UK is looking for a Communications and Fundraising Officer to become an integral part of its small, London-based team. EMERGENCY UK oversees communications and fundraising for EMERGENCY around the world, meaning that this role will be truly international in scope. You will work on a range of activities focused on growing public awareness of EMERGENCY and its fundraising reach.
We are moving to a hybrid work model combining office and home working. Occasional travel to Italy may be required.
Key responsibilities would include:
- Work closely with colleagues in the London and Milan offices to develop and implement a communications strategy that raises awareness of EMERGENCY’s work and acquires new supporters and donors.
- Create and edit content for social media and websites.
- Manage updates on social media and websites.
- Collect and use analytics to learn audience preferences and shape content.
- Analyse key trends and benchmark online communications.
- Proofread, edit and adapt content for written publications such as the annual Activity Report and quarterly magazine.
- Liaise with freelance translators to ensure timely and accurate translations of a range of material from Italian into English.
- Create, edit and adapt press releases for international media contacts.
- Maintain and update media database.
- Use media engagement platform to distribute press releases.
- Compile media monitoring reports.
- Support on organising and implementing public-facing communications activities and events.
Individual and community giving
- Implement individual and community fundraising initiatives.
- Ensure the donor database (Salesforce) is updated and accurate at all times.
- Work closely with the Senior Fundraising Officer to develop and implement supporter journeys.
- Work closely with the London Volunteer Group to plan, implement and manage fundraising activities and events.
- Attend community fundraising events organised by the volunteers qualified third parties.
Trusts & foundations
- Work closely with Senior Fundraising Officer and Milan Office Trusts & Foundations team to identify and develop suitable trust and foundation grant opportunities.
- Provide support writing project-based donor proposals.
- Provide support with submission, tracking, follow up, and reporting of trust and foundation applications.
- Attend and assist with events (to be assigned within the scope of the position, as and when necessary)
- Outstanding writing skills and close attention to detail
- Fluent English language ability
- Professional experience in the UK charity sector
- Proven track record of results in communications / fundraising
- Proactive approach to communications / fundraising
- Knowledge of key communications / fundraising principles and trends
- Ability to analyse data to inform strategy
- Experience of using digital marketing and fundraising tools
- Experience of using email marketing, social media, and crowdfunding platforms
- Experience using Wordpress would be beneficial
- Experience using Salesforce would be beneficial
The role will be based between home and EMERGENCY UK’s London office (soon to be in the London Fields area), and initially be contracted for 12 months, starting in February 2022.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.