SOCIAL ENTERPRISE START-UP LEADER
We are looking for a self-starting entrepreneur with a belief in the values of social justice to join us at the beginning of an exciting opportunity in Wythenshawe, South Manchester to work for a charity helping alleviate homelessness and social exclusion.
As we begin the exciting work of setting up a new centre in South Manchester we are seeking someone with good local knowledge and strong entrepreneurial skills to help re-establish a furniture upcycling business and to help shape an exciting business plan to support a new Emmaus community offering a home and work in a social enterprise to formerly homeless people. Being open-minded to new business ideas and opportunities, management skills and the ability to work with a wide range of people will all be necessary to help with this new project as will a ‘can-do’ attitude and a willingness to get stuck into any job.
Emmaus South Manchester is part of an international movement giving formerly homeless people an opportunity to help themselves and rebuild their lives. People who live in Emmaus communities participate in all the activities of our social enterprises. As well as a stable home, Emmaus provides a purpose in life.
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated individual. You will develop and oversee the growth of business activities and the development of a new Emmaus community, developing relationships with external organisations to support these activities.
Salary: Initial 12 month contract at a salary of up to £30,000 p.a.
The closing date for applications is 15th September and interviews will be held on 22nd September, 2020.
Job Title: Social Enterprise Start-up Leader (Local Champion)
Emmaus is an international charity that supports the homeless and jobless. We do this by creating local communities which seek to be financially independent through recycling, upcycling and making goods for sale. In this way we create work for our Emmaus community members, who earn their living based on our belief that the best way of rescuing one’s own life is to help someone else rescue theirs. They express this ideal through giving and sharing to help others.
We are now starting the exciting work of setting up a new centre in South Manchester, located in Wythenshawe, and we are seeking a Social Enterprise Leader (Local Champion) with strong links to the local community, excellent communication skills and social awareness as well as the entrepreneurial business skills and the drive to make a success of this new charity start-up venture.
As Social Enterprise start-up Leader (Local Champion) you will be responsible for leading this new project.
- Your first task will be to re-establish the RENU furniture upcycling operation that has been mothballed through the COVID-19 lockdown and establish it as a profitable business.
- You will face the full range of challenges faced by any social entrepreneur starting a new business including:
- Recruiting and managing volunteers
- Organizing work to collect, upcycle and sell stock
- Dealing with donors and customers
- Setting and maintaining standards of quality and safety
- Managing money
- Getting stuck into any job that has to be done when there is nobody else to do it.
The former RENU trainer and the trustees will be available to help, but the Local Champion will be the go-to person on the project.
We have a business plan that the Local Champion can help refine and then put into effect at this exciting time. The eventual shape of the Emmaus Community in South Manchester will be moulded to meet local needs.
- You will know the South Manchester area and have strong connections to it
- You will be great with people, someone who can listen as well as lead, motivate, persuade and inspire a good communicator
- You will be numerate, IT literate, safety aware and ‘business minded’
- Our funding is derived from social enterprise – so we need someone who understands what it takes to drive revenues through a business – and is prepared to ‘roll up their sleeves’ to get the job done
At Emmaus the focus is on people and skills rather than paper qualifications. We understand that experience, commitment and enthusiasm get results. If you feel that you could help us and those we work with to ‘get a result’ in South Manchester we would love to hear from you.
Salary & Benefits
Initial 12 month contract at a salary of up to £30,000 pa
How to apply
To apply for the role of Social Enterprise Start-up Leader for Emmaus South Manchester please send your c.v. with two references
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.