Do you have some spare time on your hands that you could dedicate to supporting a local charity? Emmaus Hull & East Riding are now recruiting for volunteers who can support our Outreach work and assist rough sleepers in securing accomodation.
This role can be continued throughout lockdown in accordance with Government guidelines. All necessary PPE is expected to be worn and can be provided to ensure the safety of the volunteer, staff and the general public.
To contribute alongside Outreach workers and companions to engage and assist rough sleepers in the Hull and East Riding area, providing support and signposting to appropriate agencies. This involves checking the safety and wellbeing of rough sleepers, acting on information given by third parties, multi-agency working and publicising events.
- Engage with rough sleepers in and around the Hull & East Riding area (supporting staff and Companions – we do not operate as lone workers)
- Obtain information and assist rough sleepers, signposting to appropriate agencies
- Risk management
- Support the team by positively promoting the Outreach service
Skills and Experience Needed
- Willingness to engage and build positive relationships
- Walk long distances when necessary
- An open minded and non-judgemental approach
- Reliability and punctuality
- Awareness and ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Experience of working with vulnerable people
At Emmaus Hull & East Riding we recognise and value the time, dedication, skills and knowledge that our volunteers contribute. During your time volunteering with us we expect you to;
- Treat others with dignity and respect
- Uphold the reputation and values of Emmaus Hull & East Riding
- Maintain appropriate professional boundaries with all staff, volunteers and companions at all times
- Contribute towards our teamwork ethic
Our Outreach service operates between 7am and 10pm Mon – Thurs and between 7am and 3pm during the weekend across several shifts (maximum 8 hour shifts). We would ideally like a minimum time commitment of one shift a week, but we are flexible to meet the availability of the individual. We do ask for your reliability and commitment to a shift to ensure no lone working amongst the team.
The Hull and East Riding Area
Support and Benefits
- You will receive a full induction and relevant training
- Direct support from the Volunteer Coordinator throughout your volunteer role
- The opportunity to get involved with other volunteer roles and fundraising events
- We will look to provide further training to maximise your skills and experience in this area
- Reimburse travel expenses