EMpower, a global philanthropic organization, is dedicated to improving the lives and horizons of marginalized young people ages 10-24 in 15 emerging market countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Russia and Turkey. Through grants and other supports, EMpower partners with over 100 local organizations working to strengthen the education and livelihoods of young people, and to build their resilience, self-confidence and well-being. To learn more, check out our website
EMpower has offices in Hong Kong, India (Delhi), Singapore, London and New York, as well as program staff in Istanbul.
About this role:
EMpower was founded in 2000 by financial professionals from the emerging market (EM) community who wanted to give back to the countries where they did business. 20 years on, our partnerships with finance firms are just as important to EMpower and these relationships are critical to our work helping marginalized young people in 15 countries.
This is the lead position to pursue EMpower’s corporate funding in the UK. Since investing in corporate fundraising for the first time in 2018, EMpower has enjoyed considerable success, building relationships in the UK with Legal and General, MarketAxess, Cape Ann Asset Management, PIMCO and a nascent ESG focused relationship with Pictet. The post holder is the key team member responsible for driving forward these relationships and initiating new ones. A confident networker, the postholder will represent EMpower at meetings, forums and events, as well as support engagement with key funders, in order to initiate and strengthen our relationships.
Whilst the primary focus is on corporate fundraising, this role is part of a small and dynamic global team (EMpower has 5 staff in the UK and 28 globally). The postholder will relish operating in a small team environment where there is opportunity to contribute to a wide range of strategic initiatives, including the opportunity to contribute to a global fundraising strategy, working closely with the VP of Global Development.
- In line with previous years, the postholder will be expected to deliver £250-500k of new income from companies, from a combination of growing existing relations and securing new partners.
- Build strong, effective working relationships with corporate donors.
- Own and support the development and implementation of the corporate fundraising strategy in the UK.
- Grant manage key corporate awards, including delivering all financial and programmatic reporting.
The role is primarily responsible for growing and sustaining corporate income in the UK, in line with EMpower’s organizational strategy. As a key member of a small but growing team, the postholder will also support other areas of fundraising (e.g., trusts & foundations, major donors, events) as required in the development of effective fundraising proposals, and be willing to take the lead on new opportunities for EMpower such as corporate fundraising in mainland Europe.
- Proactive approaches to recruit new corporate partners, using LinkedIn and other networking tools
- Close work with Board members to identify new potential targets and initiate relationships
- Represent EMpower at forums, networks and meetings relevant to corporate funding and funders.
- Provide effective stewardship for corporate donors, ensuring collaboration and effective relationships, including with the rest of EMpower’s team.
- Plan and coordinate funding approaches, working closely with the Programs Team, other regional development teams, plus senior management as required to develop high quality funding applications. This includes developing budgets and proposals in accordance with funder guidelines.
- Remain abreast of corporate donor trends in line with global development goals; use knowledge to refine development goals, and share knowledge with other team members.
- Lead on the development of annual income and expenditure budgets/forecasting for corporate fundraising.
- Produce internal reports (monthly) and conduct reviews (quarterly) on the performance and progress of corporate fundraising against agreed financial targets, operational activities and annual objectives.
This description is not exhaustive, and the post holder may be required to undertake duties that are broadly in line with the above responsibilities.
Professional skills, experience and knowledge:
- Demonstrable experience of securing and/or managing grants from corporate donors OR institutional sales in a financial institution
- Track record of delivering or surpassing financial targets, operational activities and objectives, through own efforts and initiatives and mobilizing others
- Thrives when working face to face with high level stakeholders and donors, ideally with an interest or knowledge in the financial sector
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and deliver crisp compelling presentations and reports.
- Track record of excellence in client relationship management
- Experience working in an international development organization or philanthropic organization is preferred; strong desire to do so is required.
- Highly numerate with the ability to develop and monitor budgets; analyse, interpret and communicate complex data and financial information
Personal Skills and Attributes
This post sits within a highly effective global team that has delivered 65% growth in the last 5 years. The postholder will be highly proactive but will also enjoy working as a key part of this small team and maintain an environment of excellence and camaraderie, and will be keen to contribute to strategy and effective cross-team collaboration
Specific attributes needed are:
- Performance focused with personal initiative and a flexible and proactive approach
- Professional, enthusiastic and self-motivated with the ability to quickly understand new ideas and concepts
- High energy and high resilience – comfortable with making cold approaches and pitching
- Well organized and demonstrates a high level of attention to detail, with the ability to manage multiple activities and work to agreed deadlines
- Ability to work in a global team that operates across different time zones and cultures
- Strong sense of ownership for quality of work, deliverables and service
- Committed to and respect for EMpower’s mission and values
- Right to live and work in the UK
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
EMpower is a public foundation that makes grants globally to benefit at-risk youth, including adolescent girls. We are committed to attracting, developing, motivating and retaining exceptional talent and to a work environment that recognizes contribution, fosters respect and teamwork, and facilitates strong performance. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, recognizing that diversity enriches all staff and our work globally. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or faith, or physical ability.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.