Endometriosis UK is the leading UK charity that supports those living with endometriosis. Formed in 1981 we offer information and support to women and those assigned female at birth with endometriosis, for example through our website and information leaflets, and via our local support groups, Helpline and online forum. As well as directly supporting those with endometriosis, we work to raise awareness of endometriosis amongst healthcare professionals, the public and the media; lobby for improved treatment and management of the disease; and support research. We have a big job to do and ambitious plans.
This is a new role for the charity and an exciting opportunity for an experienced clinical nurse specialist to join our small team at Endometriosis UK and make a real difference to the 1.5 million in the UK with the disease. The Specialist Advisor role is pivotal to the organisation and will help us shape and grow our support services. It involves providing clinical expertise to Endometriosis UK’s support network which includes a Helpline, local and online support groups, webchat and an online forum, all of which are provided by volunteers, along with a programme of information events.
Office-based London, Home-based flexible.
This is a new post that will work alongside the support network team. The purpose of the role is to provide expert support and information to people affected by endometriosis.
Duties and key responsibilities
Support and Information
- Provide clinical input into support network services to ensure service users have access to clinical expertise
- To provide clinical input to the development of the charity’s information materials including the revision of existing information materials and the development of new information products
- To provide input to the clinical content of the charity’s website
- Providing information and support to service users on endometriosis and related issues
- Liaise with support network team and volunteers to ensure a high-quality service is delivered
- Adhering to quality standards, confidentiality, policies and the standard operating procedures of the support network services.
- To raise awareness of the charity’s support network services within the health professional field
- To contribute endometriosis knowledge and clinical expertise across all the charity’s programmes
Maintain professional knowledge
- Keep up to date with treatment and care of endometriosis through research & review of publications, horizon scanning, and attending study days and conferences, and disseminate this information within the charity
- Adhere to the standards of good practice outlined in the NMC professional code of conduct
- Maintain nursing registration and compliance with PREP requirements ensuring ongoing clinical education and professional development
- Implement formal communication pathways with Consultants and Clinical Nurse Specialist in BSGE tertiary centres and Welsh Health boards.
- The role will require some travel to meeting and events throughout the UK. Occasional weekend or evening work may also be required and time off in lieu will be given
- The post holder will be working in a developing environment and he/she/they will
- therefore be required to undertake other appropriate duties as necessary for the
- efficient operation of Endometriosis UK
- The post holder will be required to provide quarterly reports on support network
- service activity
- The post holder will work alongside other clinicians who actively support the charity
- Represent the charity as requested with other clinical professional bodies
Our Specialist Advisor must be a highly motivated, innovative and organised individual with excellent communication skills. You will be a registered nurse with Broad post- registration experience with relevant experience in endometriosis and gynaecology. Please note that this is a developing role; the post holder will need to be comfortable undertaking a range of duties at all levels to get things done.
Skills and abilities
- Able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills
- Able to clearly communicate complex health information via the telephone and in writing to a wide range of people
- Ability to have empathy with service users
- Ability to organise and prioritise effectively
- Ability to work autonomously and effectively within a team
- Commitment to providing and developing high quality services
- Able to demonstrate diplomacy & professionalism
- Willingness to adapt from a clinical environment to the voluntary sector
- Ability to build, develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including service users, health professionals and researchers
- Good Microsoft Office skills
- Willingness to undertake training and develop skills in use of databases and other IT programmes used to monitor and evaluate our service provision
- Broad post- registration experience with relevant experience in endometriosis, gynaecology etc
- Experience of providing individual support and information to patients and their families
- Experience of producing patient information
- Experience working within multidisciplinary team
- Experience with BSGE accredited Endometriosis Centre
- Education, training, qualifications
- Registered General Nurse
- Evidence of continuing education & professional development relevant to the level of the role
- Completed Advanced Communication Skills training or equivalent training
- Good working knowledge of endometriosis and its treatment
- Working knowledge of information technology
- An interest in online service provision
- Experience of giving presentations at conferences or study days
- Experience of previous involvement with patient support groups
- Experience in teaching and training clinical colleagues
- Experience with developing policy/strategy at a local and national level
To apply please submit a CV and maximum two-page cover letter outlining how you meet the person specification and why you’re interested in the post. The closing date is 16th February and interviews will be held over a virtual platform on 21st February. We appreciate that applicants may have professional commitments on this day and so we are offering interview
slots outside of office hours on request.
As this is a new role, we welcome queries from potential applicants. For an informal conversation about the job requirements please get in touch.