EngineeringUK is a not-for-profit organisation, which works in partnership with the engineering community to inform and inspire young people and grow the number and diversity of tomorrow’s engineers. We work locally, regionally and nationally with a wide range of organisations across business and industry, education, professional institutions and the third sector to understand the engineering sector and the skills it requires. We work in partnership with these organisations to develop and promote effective initiatives and programmes to inspire young people to consider a career in engineering.
We are guided by a series of values that we apply to all our activity.
We are insightful and open and honest with our insight so that everything we to inspire young people into engineering is based on clear and up-to-date evidence, gained by listening to and learning from our community.
We are courageous and dynamic in the development, piloting and promotion of ideas and activities which can help us all to inspire tomorrow’s engineers and increase the talent pipeline for engineering.
We are passionate about inspiring a new generation on engineers and a positive difference to young people’s lives.
We are inclusive, with partnership and collaboration at the heart of what we do. We are determined to reach those people who are under-represented in modern engineering
About the role
The support of companies and stakeholders is vital to the success of EngineeringUK, both in terms of funding our key programmes, including the nationally recognised Big Bang Programme, and joining the EngineeringUK Skills Partnership, through our Corporate Membership programme, providing members with a network to exchange ideas, and learn for each other how best to support the drive for science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) careers in the UK.
EngineeringUK has built a credible and ongoing relationship with many leading businesses in the manufacturing, engineering and technology sectors, with many major companies in the Aerospace, Engineering and Energy sectors supporting us. We need to build on this, encouraging more companies to become involved in our work, with particular focus on growing support from sectors including: Digital, Pharmaceutical, Sport, Telecommunications, Healthcare, Computer Gaming and Food & Drink; all of which need STEM skills.
As a key member of the Business Development Team, you will be expected to support the work of EngineeringUK, ensuring a consistent approach to targeting, engaging and account managing with new and existing companies and sectors. The role will promote key EngineeringUK programmes, with a view to securing long-term financial partnerships.
This will involve the following areas of focus:
- New Business Development: Researching, identifying and targeting business relationships with companies in new sectors, working with the wider team
- Account Management: Leading and supporting the ongoing relationships and new prospects. This includes engaging existing contacts, establishing new targets and completion of necessary proposals, contracts and invoices
- Providing detailed feedback on a weekly basis on sales targets, the sales pipeline and other client related information to enable the ongoing development of our services
- Working closely with programme teams to clearly understand sponsorship opportunities and align the sales process with client needs
- Updating the CRM system (Salesforce) with required information to enable a clear and visible understanding of our engagement process
- Manage responsibility for your own progress against KPIs for your own accounts, the Business Development team and the organisation
- Undertake other tasks and duties as required for the Business Development Team, in the management of external clients, as well as communication and co-ordination with internal teams
- The role will involve occasional travel, visiting clients and including for example to The Big Bang Fair annually, previously held in Birmingham, and attending other relevant STEM industry events.
This job description sets out the requirements of the role at the time it was drawn up and which may change over time. The Business Development Manager will be expected to undertake other tasks or duties as required; work in line with EngineeringUK’s Quality Management System (QMS); comply with EngineeringUK’s data protection policies and safeguarding policies at all times; and work in line with our values.
Essential experience and attributes
- Between 3-5 years proven experience in Business Development and Account Management, ideally in more than one of the following sectors: Engineering, Pharmaceutical, Sport, Technology, Telecommunications, Healthcare, IT and Computer Gaming and Food & Drink sectors
- Good knowledge and experience in researching industry sectors and companies to help identify opportunities
- Ability to create, maintain and develop effective working relationships with clients (both from Business & Industry and the Third & Public sectors), as well as with colleagues in the organisation and externally with partners and suppliers
- A good team player who enjoys collaborative working
- Strong influencing skills
- Experience working collaboratively for the mutual benefit of the organisation
- An interest in consultative selling by identifying and understanding customer needs and translating these into solutions
- Experience of writing and presenting and writing proposals in a professional context
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively whilst working under pressure
- Attention to detail, ensuring that high levels of quality are achieved
- Strong communication skills and ability to use MS Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Desirable experiences and attributes
- An appreciation of the importance of STEM in the future skills of young people.
Education / level of experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
The role will report into the Head of Business Development. It is based at the EngineeringUK offices at 10 Lower Thames Street, London EC3R 6EN with occasional travel in the UK, although all staff are currently working from home in line with government guidelines and we are likely to adopt a blend of home and office-based work in the future.
Applying for this role
Please send a CV andcover letter in support of your application that is no longer than two sides explaining how you fulfill the key criteria for the role. Please also tell us where you saw the job advertised in your email as we are currently tracking our applications.
The deadline for applications is before 12:00 noon on Wednesday 6th October.
Applications will be assessed against the requirements for the post as set out in the Role Profile and Person Specification.
EngineeringUK are working hard to be a disability confident employer. Please let us know if there are any reasonable adjustments we can make for you during this recruitment process and beyond.
We aim to notify candidates who have been shortlisted on Friday 8th October. If you have not heard from us after this date, please assume that you have not been successful.
First interviews will be held virtually week commencing 11th October.
EngineeringUK is an inclusive organisation; we welcome everyone with all skills, experiences, and backgrounds.
Each applicant will be individually assed regardless of gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, ethnicity, colour, or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age.
We are an equal opportunities employer and are open to flexible working, including job share.
Benefits / Perks
- 28 days paid annual leave (plus bank holidays and 3 days at Christmas)
- Competitive pension
- Access to office gym with employee discount
- Yearly flu jabs
- Annual bonus
- Flexible working
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Life Assurance
- Permanent Health Insurance
Please send a CV and cover letter in support of your application that is no longer than two sides explaining how you fulfil the key criteria for the role