English Touring Opera (ETO) is seeking exceptional candidates for the position of Deputy Chair of the Board, as part of a programme of succession planning and wider Board renewal.
There will be significant opportunities and challenges in the years ahead for the company. The Deputy Chair will play a key role on the Board as we develop our work in the post-Covid world and secure our funding into the future. The Deputy Chair will be a proactive ambassador and advocate for the Company in these next exciting years. Candidates should bring a passion for, and some knowledge of, the opera and wider arts scene. They will have experience of working at board level, be well-networked and have the experience required to play a central role in the organisation.
ETO has a unique place in British opera as the only mid-scale touring company offering regional venues, and thousands of audience members, outstanding opera performances and impactful Learning and Participation projects, across a significant national footprint. At the heart of our mission is a commitment to touring ambitious programmes of high-quality, innovative, and exciting opera performances that engage and inspire.
There will be significant opportunities and challenges in the years ahead for the company and it is in that context that English Touring Opera are seeking exceptional candidates for the role of Deputy Chair of Trustees and independent wider Board renewal.
The Deputy Chair will play a key role in the development of English Touring Opera’s future strategy, as we approach the formal presentation of that strategy to our principal funder, Arts Council England, to inform funding agreements from 2023 to 2026.
The Deputy Chair will serve as a proactive and compelling ambassador and advocate for the Company in these next exciting years. Candidates should bring a passion for, and some knowledge of, the UK’s opera and wider arts scene. They will ideally have experience of working at board level, be well networked and have the experience required to play a central role in fundraising for the organisation.
- Play a key role in the development of the English Touring Opera vision for the future, contributing to its strategic leadership, sound management and proactive development.
- Act as a positive and enthusiastic ambassador for the organisation, advocating on its behalf, and representing its mission.
- Proactively support the approach to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
- Support fundraising efforts and build networks on behalf of English Touring Opera.
- Support and in some cases lead relationships with key stakeholders and partners.
- Assist and support the Chair and act as a ‘sounding board’ to the Chair in the execution of his/her role.
- In the Chair’s absence, deputise for the Chair as appropriate.
- Member of Nominations Committee.
- Assist and support the Chair in ensuring all Members of the Board, when taking up office, are fully briefed on the terms of their appointment and their duties and responsibilities.
- Available to colleague trustees for advice and support, including in any instances where they would prefer not to consult with the Chair directly.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic advocate for English Touring Opera and will bring all or most of the following:
- A knowledge of and passion for opera and the performing arts
- A demonstrable commitment to diversity and inclusivity
- A strong track record of leadership and the ability to be an effective communicator and ambassador
- Experience of working at board level, ideally with prior experience in a chairing capacity, whether in the commercial, public or charity sector, and a good understanding of governance
- A willingness to build the profile of English Touring Opera
- Well-networked and willing to use professional and personal contacts for the benefit of English Touring Opera