With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Senior Finance Analyst role will provide financial support to EDF Europe as it works through a period of capacity building and improvement. The role has two strands. Firstly, it will provide day-to-day support to the Finance Manager by leading on the processing of transactions, dealing with queries. Secondly, it will be a key part of the team that will develop and deliver of a phased financial improvement plan, including the implementation of a new ERP system.
The position reports to the Finance Director of EDF Europe, and is offered on a 2 year fixed term contract, with potential for extension.
This role will provide support to the Finance Manager in the processing of financial transactions and the resolution of queries.
Duties will include:
• Ensure that supplier invoices are coded and authorised correctly. Work with the outsourced accountants to ensure that payments are set-up correctly and transactions recorded accurately on Xero.
• Work with EDF Inc. to ensure that new suppliers are vetted and created in accordance with EDF policy.
• Resolve queries with suppliers, escalating to the Finance Manager and Finance Director as required.
• Maintain the payroll Project Space, providing access to new members and creating new folders.
• Access monthly staff adjustments and input these onto the payroll template, seeking clarification from HR and the Finance
Manager as required.
• Provide support to staff who need to access pay slips and other information.
• Act as the first point of contact for payroll queries.
• Review all staff expense claims to ensure that they have been correctly completed and authorised.
• Work with the outsourced accountants to ensure that payments are set-up correctly and recorded accurately on Xero.
• Work with the Fin Ops team at EDF Inc. to complete a monthly reconciliation of Xero to GP.
• Investigate and resolve any reconciling differences, ensuring that any correcting journals are posted to Xero.
• Review and code funds received from donors and partners
• Work with the outsourced accountants to ensure that these receipts are processed correctly within Xero.
• Act as first contact for staff who need support with timesheets and tracking time.
• Work with members of the time Tracking Taskforce in EDF Inc. to help resolve operational issues and ensure that new codes are created.
• Prepare financial information as required to support requests from donors, auditors, or other internal and external stakeholders.
• Review balance sheet reconciliations and calculations (including accruals, prepayments, and deprecation) prepared by the outsourced accountants for accuracy.
• Run finance inductions for new staff joining EDF Europe.
• Other activities and task that may reasonably be requested by the Finance Manager and Finance Director.
• Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
This role will provide critical support to the implementation of the new ERP system and the delivery of the financial Improvement Plan. It is envisaged that this will include:
Staff expenses and credit cards
• Complete a review of the staff expenses and credit cards process operating within EDF Europe
• Work with EDF Inc to ensure that Concur is fully operational and working as expected
• Complete a review of credit cards, capturing which credit cards are in use and who they are assigned to.
• Document all processes in accordance with new EDF templates
• Prepare guidance for staff and training as necessary
• Work with EDF Inc to develop a new process for reconciling and agreeing intercomapny transactions and balances.
• Document the process in accordance with the new EDF templates.
• Work with the Finance manager and Finance Director to document all EDF Europe processes and controls.
• Lead on specific segments of the implementation, including user testing.
Qualifications and Experience
• Studying towards a recognized accountancy qualification (ACA/ACCA/CIMA)
• Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or another relevant subject.
• Experience working with Xero, Microsoft GP or Netsuite
• Excellent Excel skills: the ability to develop formulas, charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by management.
• Flexibility to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
• Experience with forecasting, budgeting, and reporting software packages.
• Experience of VAT return preparation and corporation tax
• Government grant reporting knowledge and experience
• Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
**You must have the right to live and work in the UK or EU when applying.