Equal Education is a social enterprise with the aim of improving educational outcomes for the most vulnerable students in our society - those who are in our care system and those with SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities). We believe by working with the most disadvantaged and vulnerable groups, we can lift society as a whole.
As a team, we are passionate about our cause. We are problem solvers who have turned our attention to being ambitious about solving a complex and demanding social problem, using technical innovation to underpin social innovation. We work with hundreds of qualified teachers to provide academic, subject specialised and individual tutoring for children who are looked after and those with SEND.
Our success relies upon a strong operating foundation and people who are motivated by a strong desire to make an impact in the lives of those whose current needs are not being met by the education system.Our core team is small, formed of the two co-founders and 14 operations staff. With a lot of growth expected in the space of the coming months, we plan to expand our team this year.
With a proven operating and impact model, we are growing our community of talented staff to further scale our impact in the UK and overseas. We are seeking a diligent and self starting People Partner who can work with our Co-CEOs to create, develop and execute a new people plan and vision for our organisation.
You can read more about our work and impact in our blog section of our website.
About the role
As we evolve into a small - medium size social enterprise, we are looking for an experienced HR professional who can play a leading role in building a strong team and culture to achieve continued sustainable growth. You will apply your skills and experience to help us lay some HR foundations, put our People Plan into action, implement Learning & Development opportunities for all staff and assist management in recruiting, developing and retaining staff in a culture in which all staff can thrive. This is a great opportunity for a generalist HR professional who is ready to roll their sleeves up and lead on all aspects of HR for Equal Education.
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Lead on the recruitment of new staff, managing the advertisement, assessment and selection process from start to finish with hiring managers.
- Develop a hiring equality and diversity policy, with ongoing monitoring.
Performance management and reward
- Develop and embed a performance review framework and compensation & benefits review process, with clear timelines and frameworks, and support managers to run them effectively.
- Review and suggest improvements for the total reward offer for Equal Education.
- Assist the Management team with the development of a key performance indicator framework for each team.
- Support team leaders with the management of employee relations, including absence management, parental leave, performance management, capability management etc., partnering with external legal counsel, as required.
- Ensure staff policies, including our employee handbook, are up-to-date, fit for purpose and in line with current employment law, and ensure all employees are up to date with any change in policy.
Talent, learning and development
- Develop a learning & development framework, including clear processes for the onboarding and continued development of Equal Education staff.
- Drive talent management and succession planning for the team.
- Build managerial capability with regards to effective people management.
- Help embed a culture of engagement, mental health and wellbeing by taking a lead on providing wellbeing support and initiatives.
- Lead the execution of employee engagement surveys, including analysis of results and making recommendations for further improvements to the Senior Management Team.
- Support the development of an internal culture in which each employee feels valued and aligned with our mission and purpose.
- Coordinate with the Finance Director regarding the administration of staff remuneration, overtime, parental leave, etc.
- Partner with external HR systems provider, as required, to ensure all staff personal details and records are accurate and up to date, in line with data privacy standards.
- Manage reference requests.
- Responsibility for employee contract administration.
Essential experience and skills
- Experience in a standalone or small team environment, with the ability to lead the HR function as part of Equal Education’s mission, both from an operational and strategic perspective.
- Expected to hold a bachelors’ degree and have at least 5 years Human Resources experience. Ideally will be CIPD qualified/part qualified, or equivalent qualification.
- Demonstrable experience in HR advisory/partnering roles for SMEs, ideally supporting start-up or growth businesses.
- Strong understanding of UK employment law (with knowledge of South African employment law being a bonus).
- Demonstrable experience in developing highly effective teams, ideally in a growth environment.
- Solid understanding and demonstrable experience of management development and coaching, reward, talent management, performance management, recruitment and selection, on-boarding and off-boarding i.e. all aspects of the employee lifecycle.
- Superb communication skills with the ability to build rapport quickly with key stakeholders.
- Self-starter who can take the lead to deliver on key objectives and initiatives as set out in the People Plan.
- A professional and innovative approach to HR, partnering with leadership to drive employee engagement, underpinned by great development and a culture of recognition.
- Right to work in the UK
Route to Application
We ask prospective candidates to;
- Submit a CV relevant to the above job description along with a covering letter that concisely summarises in no more than 3 points their relevance to the role.
- The covering letter should highlight clearly how many days a week the candidate is applying for (e.g. 3 days a week pro-rata or full time).
- Should consider this is not a totally remote role and any candidates unable to work some days in our London office will preclude themselves from the role.
- Please note applications which do not display relevant experience or are submitted without a covering letter will be automatically discarded.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.