Hours: 37.5 hours per week, with flexible working arrangements
Location: South Wimbledon/Home- Currently Hybrid Working
Are you looking for an exciting, hands-on digital communications role in a small, ambitious team? Do you want your work to have real impact?
We are a leading London homelessness charity looking for a brilliant designer and digital communications officer. Someone who is passionate about design and would relish the opportunity to create and manage engaging, creative social media content.
Social media will be the main aspect of this role, however, there will be scope to develop into different areas of work, such as website management, copy writing, film, story-telling, press, and production of other internal and external publications.
We are looking for a person who is dedicated and keen to become an integral part of our small, close-knit team. You will be strongly supported by our Senior Digital Communications Officer who will offer guidance and autonomy as appropriate.
We offer a competitive benefits package, flexible working and place a strong emphasis on career development. We work from our Kingston Road office, next to South Wimbledon tube, 2 days a week and can choose to either work from home, or one of our other services, for the remaining 3 days.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop your learning around the whole process of delivering digital communications and to work within a very supportive and positive Fundraising and Communications department.
Evolve is a leading homelessness charity in London, providing housing and support to over 2,000 people each year. Our aim is to help children, young people and adults who are homeless or at risk of homelessness to become independent and resilient. We believe in building on people’s strengths, aspirations and goals to help them break the cycle of homelessness.
If this role seems like an exciting and fitting opportunity for you, we would love to hear from you.
Digital Communications Officer – Role Profile
Job Title: Digital Communications Officer
Department: Fundraising and Communications Department
Reports to: Senior Communications Officer
Location: South Wimbledon and various offices in South London
To work with the Senior Communications Officer and Fundraising and Communications Manager to:
- Help deliver our digital and fundraising strategy in order to raise our profile and levels of engagement on social media and online.
- Assist with the digital functions of our internal communications strategy.
- Be a key part of our team
Social media, to:
- Design, schedule and post engaging content for all channels using videos, photos and infographics, to drive social engagement, brand awareness, support campaigns and fundraising activities, and represent the range of our services.
- Ensure social media posts are scheduled a week ahead in a timely manner, reviewing messaging, and tone of voice, language and assets with our Senior Communications Officer.
- Proactively engage with a variety of audiences across social media channels, responding timely to comments and posts, and contributing to relevant conversations.
- Work flexibly and reactively in terms of rescheduling content dependent on new content needing to be covered
- Support delivery of digital elements of campaigns, including paid-for advertising.
- Report regularly on our digital performance across the website and social media.
- Manage social media for and at Evolve events, using content to engage with audiences.
- Keep abreast of effective marketing strategies, ensuring we make full use of emerging technology/approaches/tools within social media.
- Keep abreast of local and national news, as well as national or world dates in the calendar that we may wish to comment on or be a part of
- Ensure we are adhering to our internal consent and GDPR policies and diligently saving consent forms
Publications and marketing, to:
- Support colleagues with design and editing of our internal service users’ newsletters, booklets, printed materials and branded publications.
- As a team, provide support for internal, external, stakeholder and fundraising events, and on the day support in the delivery of events.
- Build strong relationships with colleagues across services and departments to find suitable content for publication.
- Alongside the Senior Communications Officer, be a brand guardian, ensuring internal and external communications are professional standard, consistent with Evolve’s behaviours and brand, in compliance with policies and procedures, and recognised good practice, ensuring colleagues know how to use the brand effectively and appropriately, in accordance with our brand guidelines.
The postholder will be required to:
- Occasionally carry out any other duties as directed by the Fundraising and Communications Manager, Director of Business Development, Chief Executive or Board.
- Act in accordance with the aims of Evolve Housing + Support and promote and implement our Equal Opportunities Policy and other polices adopted by the Board.
- Follow our policies and procedures, with particular attention to health and safety, equality and diversity and customer service excellence.
- Further your development and knowledge you will be expected to attend training as necessary including successful completion of your apprenticeship and the modules within this
This job description provides an indication of the roles and responsibilities, but should not be construed as an exclusive list of the duties that the post holder may be asked to undertake. Evolve reserves the right to amend this role profile as necessary, after consultation with the postholder, to reflect changes in or to the role.
Experience & qualifications
- Confident and effective use of social media
- Strong experience or qualifications in design work for digital
- Desirable experience of effectively using various digital platforms and emerging technologies for awareness raising and/or income generation.
- Good copywriting experience
- Website management or involvement would be beneficial
- Understand the relevance of different digital platforms to engage with different audiences.
- Creative and resourceful- has great ideas and can implement them in the context of limited resources.
- Strong natural ability to create engaging and effective designs for use across digital platforms and print
- Ability to write engaging content, stories and messaging for a variety of stakeholders.
- Able to develop messaging relevant for influencing different audiences.
- Proficient use of Word, Excel, Photoshop/Canva or other design applications
- Good copywriter and proof-reader
- Capable of delivering results to tight deadlines and under pressure.
- Good attention to detail
Personal style and behaviour
- Can-do and positive personality with a high degree of personal drive, able to manage both proactive and reactive communications work
- Supports and co-operates fully with colleagues to meet current and future business needs and to promote collaboration.
- Confident, independent and effective team worker, with ability to take own initiative.
- Integrity and honesty, inspiring confidence and openness.
- Resilient, able to handle conflict and remain calm under pressure.
- Flexible approach to work, including willingness to work outside normal office hours if/when required.
- Target focused and driven.
- Personal commitment to the values, vision and behaviours of Evolve Housing + Support and culture of continuous service improvement.
- Commitment to quality, customer service, best practice and best value in all aspects of the organisation’s operations.
- Commitment to service user involvement, and ability to involve service users in all aspects of the running of the organisation and where appropriate, in the delivery of communications and fundraising.
- Commitment to continuing professional development.
- Commitment to equality and diversity.