The role of the Carers Engagement Project Officer will be to help place the voice of unpaid carers at the heart of Somerset health and social care decision makers. This includes engaging with unpaid carers in creative and diverse ways, increasing awareness of the unpaid carer role, gathering views and experiences, working in partnership with statutory, community and voluntary sector partners already providing support to avoid duplication and ensuring their voices are influencing those who make decisions. The post holder will develop an engagement model with unpaid carers using co-production techniques. The role will be supported by the central team within Evolving Communities which includes management, finance, research and communication support.
Job Summary and key responsibilities
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer you will:
- Develop an unpaid carer ‘co-production working group’ recruiting unpaid carers from across Somersets wide and diverse communities, working with partners to ensure the approach is inclusive and meets the needs of all unpaid carers.
- Create an inclusive recruitment campaign and promote widely across Somerset.
- Visit established groups and organisations already supporting unpaid carers to promote, targeting those from hard-to-reach communities.
- Facilitate focus group sessions with unpaid carers ensuring they are at the heart of the development of the engagement model.
- Undertake a scoping and mapping exercise to identify all organisations and groups already supporting unpaid carers and establish collaborative relationships.
- With the ‘co-production working group’ establish an engagement strategy and work plan to identify key themes and issues affecting the unpaid carer community.
- Develop engagement opportunities using a variety of methods; online, face to face, telephone, targeted visits, social media etc.
- Use a variety of methods to monitor and evaluate unpaid carer experiences, including identifying themes and concerns as well as identifying good practice.
- Working with the Carers Strategic Partnership Board develop and agree governance channels to ensure what unpaid carers say is heard at the most appropriate level.
- Develop close working relationships with key individuals from across Somerset’s adult and children’s commissioning teams to ensure the voices and experiences of unpaid carers are influencing ongoing service delivery.
- Work collaboratively with Somerset’s Fit for the Future commissioners to engage unpaid carers on relevant topics on their behalf.
- Undertake regular monitoring and evaluation of the project plan to ensure it remains on track.
- Draft reports, with the support of colleagues, that highlight the issues faced by unpaid carers.
- Attend key unpaid carer meetings on a regular basis.
- Work with Healthwatch Somerset team where this will deliver outcomes in a collaborative way.
- Work with the Healthwatch Somerset Volunteer Officer to engage volunteers who may wish to support the project.
- Work with the EC Communication team to design materials – logos, leaflets and images – to promote the work.
- Provide regular updates and progress reports to the inform monitoring and evaluation with the commissioner.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.