We are seeking two part-time Local Development Officers - one to lead our new Bristol region and one to lead our established Hampshire region. The ideal candidates will be motivated, self-starters who are passionate about supporting young people through relationships education to join our small, friendly team and lead our North London region. We are a small but established educational charity where every member of the team has the opportunity to make a difference. We provide young people with the time and space to explore how to create and sustain happy, healthy and loving long-term relationships. Our youth-led sessions are facilitated by our Local Development Officers and provide a rare opportunity for young people to ask adults about their experiences of relationships and marriage in order to inform how they might approach relationships for themselves in the future.
Our aim is to support young people’s wellbeing by:
- Counteracting negative or unrealistic media portrayals of relationships to help young people understand what real relationships are like.
- Providing hope to young people that healthy, happy and loving relationships do exist and they too can have this type of relationship in their future.
- Helping young people recognise that all relationships, romantic or otherwise, require time and effort, that experiencing challenges is part of life but these can be overcome.
This role is part time during school term time, which means working 39 out of 52 weeks. This makes it an ideal opportunity for candidates who are looking for a role that fits around family life, study, volunteering or other commitments. Exact hours will be discussed and agreed with the successful candidate.
The Local Development Officer role involves:
- Engaging with secondary schools in the region, to promote our mission and sessions
- Engaging with other settings, such as alternative learning settings and youth clubs, to promote our mission and sessions
- Negotiating session pricing with schools, using the guidance provided
- Coordinating, planning and leading on sessions, including facilitating some sessions, with the support of volunteers and other colleagues where needed
- Recruiting high quality volunteers
- Communicating regularly with existing Explore volunteers in your region to keep them engaged in our mission and their role within our work
- Reporting to schools, volunteers and colleagues on the impact of each session using electronic feedback requests developed by Explore
- Providing regular progress reports to your Line Manager, the Operations Manager
Skills, Experience & Qualities we are seeking:
Skills & Experience:
- Essential: Experience of agreeing fees for a product or service
- Essential: Able to talk to those outside the organisation about Explore and bring them on board as partners, customers or volunteers
- Essential: Ability to connect and engage with young people
- Essential: Confident with taking part in video conferencing and leading meetings on virtual platforms
- Desirable: Experience of working in the education sector in some form
- Desirable: Ability to facilitate, coach, mentor and / or teach
- Resilient and patient, with the ability to adapt to unfolding situations
- Always acts with integrity
- Has a good sense of humour
- Strong active listening skills and excellent communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a remote, home based team
We are an equal opportunities employer and are striving to become more diverse. We believe it is important to reflect the young people we are here to serve and that diversity of thought, as a result of different experiences, strengthens the work of charities including the work of Explore. We very much welcome applications from individuals from all different backgrounds. We are registered as an education charity however our organisational values are based on a Christian ethos of kindness, treating others fairly, acting ethically at all times, and respect. Applications are encouraged from all individuals of all faiths and no faith.
Applicants must hold a UK driving license and have access to a car for work.
This role is home based however the successful candidate will be required to travel to schools and other settings within their region regularly and will need to attend occasional team meetings / training days further afield. Hours can be worked flexibly across the week with school hours working possible subject to the need to travel for school bookings which are essential to the role. Currently most of our sessions are delivered remotely via video facilities however we expect to return to mostly in-person sessions in the next academic year.
Please get in touch if you have any questions, we would be very happy to discuss any aspect of the role with potential candidates.
Please note the other role currently advertised by Explore includes London weighting which means the salary is slightly higher.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.