Reporting to: Volunteer & Employability Manager (West)
Location: FareShare Midlands (Birmingham)
Hours: Full time, 37.5 hours per week
Salary: £24 k / year, Initial 1-year fixed term contract, expected to be extended to 3 years
Base: Metro Triangle, Mount Street, Nechells, Birmingham, B7 5QT
About FareShare Midlands
FareShare Midlands is a local charity fighting food poverty by tackling food waste. We source food that is surplus to requirements- from retailers and manufactures. We rely on an army of volunteers to help redistribute this food to local charities and community groups who provide meals and food parcels to vulnerable people. (Including individuals who are homeless, unemployed, socially isolated, school breakfast clubs, community centres and those recovering from addictions).
FareShare Midlands’ Vision
- Vision: We have the vision of a UK where “No good food goes to waste”.
- Passion – for our cause and the challenge that lies ahead
- Ambition – to go the extra mile and drive the change that must happen
- Respect – for ourselves, each other, our volunteers, our partners and our beneficiaries
- Collaboration – it’s only by working with others that we can be stronger Fighting hunger, tackling food waste
I-Can Employability Programme
The I-Can Employability Programme is designed to help the long term unemployed or recently unemployed adults with new opportunities to access employment and training through a structured programme designed for the warehouse sector. I-Can is delivered in partnership with The PURE Project is a European Social Funded project. It brings together a range of coordinated interventions which will assist the needs of vulnerable Birmingham citizens. The project will deliver to vulnerable people aged 29+ with multiple and complex barriers who, as a consequence of their homelessness or other issues are distant from the labour market.
The programme aims to support individuals who:
- Are looking to adapt to a new job role
- Have few or no qualifications
- Have little or no employment history
- Experience challenges around mental health
Summary of Role
Reporting to the Volunteer & Employability Managers, you will coordinate and deliver the daily running of our I-Can Employability programme. You will develop strong working relationships with referral partners to both ensure participant numbers are met, as well as to secure pathways to further participant outcomes around learning and development and employment.
The I-Can Employability programme runs as a 6-week work experience placement supported by a structured employability course with up to 20 participants on each cohort. You will be responsible for delivering both class room sessions and practical experience in the FareShare Birmingham depot. The role will involve working closely with the operations teams to ensure that participants are safe and warehouse rotas are maintained.
- Promote the I-Can Employability programme to generate self and partner referrals through organising/attending events, networking, the media (including social media) and producing and distributing publicity materials as required
- Respond to enquiries, conduct initial meetings with clients and provide initial advice, guidance and support
- Complete initial assessments with clients and jointly agree goals to be achieved and specific targets
- Deliver the initial 2-week class room based I-Can Employability programme
- Deliver one to one and group peer support sessions
- Rota and support the I-Can participants to undertake 4 weeks work experience in the FareShare Depot
- Provide ongoing support to participants including conducting review meetings to support them in their employability journey
- Promote opportunities for training and employment with external organisations and employers through organising/attending events and networking
- Line management of the Employability Administrator, including regular one to ones and supporting personal development plans
- Maintain an understanding of DWP/ESF processes and requirements that are subject to audit requirements.
- Ensure all aspects of ESF finance and administration relating to the FareShare contract with Birmingham City Council (BCC) for ESF funding.
- Ensure consistently high-quality administrative paperwork relating to the delivery of the PURE Project including PURE core documentation of a participants journey on the project.
- Represent FareShare Midlands and the I-Can programme internally and externally at meetings and other events
- Implement, review and develop policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of
- Monitor performance and provide qualitative and quantitative data and information as determined externally and internally, in line with the requirements
- Work with the Volunteer & Employability Manager to ensure funding arrangements for the project are monitored and maintained
- Undertake any other reasonable duties to ensure the successful delivery of the project
Essential Experience, Skills and Qualities
- Experience in designing and delivering adult education training
- Experience of supporting adults with additional support needs
- Experience of support in group and individuals into training and/or employment
- Able to establish and maintain systems and accurate recording of data
- Experience of working with people from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to deal with people at all levels
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated with good team-working skills
- Good time management with ability to manage workloads to meet deadlines
- IT literacy, in particular of using Microsoft applications (Outlook, Word, and Excel)
- A commitment to Equal Opportunities and inclusivity
- To subscribe to the ethos, vision and mission of FareShare Midlands
- Level 3 Award in Employment & Training (formerly PTLLS)
- Level 3 AIG (Advice, Information & Guidance)
- Experience of working in the Welfare to Work Sector, including employer engagement, ESF contracts and JCP referral systems
- Full clean driving licence and have access to a vehicle so that travel between depots as needed