Senior Bookkeeper (independent contractor)
As the Senior Bookkeeper for a fast-growing Charity, you’ll be responsible for all aspects of bookkeeping and the production of management accounts. This is an exciting time for the Charity as a number of key projects are on the horizon where financial control is of the utmost importance. You’ll be engaged with the Charity’s mission of ending food poverty and tackling food waste; and have the key attributes of a relevant accountancy qualification, attention to detail and accuracy, problem-solving and be able to make decisions quickly.
The preferred candidate will be a self-employed contractor but we will consider recruiting a permanent employee (hours and remuneration available on request).
- Take lead responsibility for day-to-day bookkeeping and reporting duties using SAGE 50, to include sales ledger invoicing, credit control, purchase ledger processing & payments. Prepare and post general ledger journals.
- Ensure that bank reconciliations, payment of invoices, fundraising platform reconciliations, and reclaiming of Gift Aid are administered accurately and in a timely manner.
- Prepare monthly management accounts showing income and expenditure against budget/reforecast, monitor reserves and compliance including restrictions on the use of funds.
- Assist in the development of budgets, forecasts and financial plans in collaboration with the Director of Finance and CEO.
- Support the management of membership income, fundraising income and expenditure forecasts.
- Work with the Director of Finance to provide payroll data compilation for external third-party payroll processing. Oversee payments of PAYE to HMRC on monthly basis along with associated reporting.
- Produce and submit quarterly VAT returns accurately and on-time.
- Ensure that proper financial records are maintained in the accounting system, alongside organised paper records where required.
Personal Attributes, Qualifications and Experience
- Honesty, integrity and professionalism.
- Numerical accuracy with attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, voluntary organisation, committed to equal opportunities.
- Commitment to the values and aims of FareShare South West.
- Ability to work supportively in a busy staff team and with volunteers.
- Knowledge of charity accounting and reporting requirements e.g., restricted vs unrestricted funds, and reserves reporting.
- IT literate - specifically in Microsoft Office and proficiency in accounting systems, ideally Sage 50.
- Accounting Qualification (CIMA, AAT, ACCA) or demonstrable experience gained at previous roles, and / or a willingness to work towards a professional qualification.
- Desirable but not essential - previous experience in the use of Power BI, SalesForce or ‘Open-API’ larger accounting systems
Immediate start favoured but would wait for the right applicant.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.