FareShare is an award-winning UK charity that fights hunger and food waste. We source food that is surplus to requirements – from food retailers and manufacturers – and engage many volunteers to help redistribute this to local charities and community groups that provide meals to vulnerable people (individuals who are homeless, unemployed, socially isolated, recovering from addictions).
FareShare operates 21 warehouse depots around the UK and supports over 9,000 charities and community groups – our Community Food Members.
Main purpose of this role
This is an exciting time to join an ambitious and growing charity. As the FareShare UK (FSUK) Facilities Manager you will be responsible for the staff and volunteer facilities and offices at our two London premises, our Sheffield office and the five FSUK Regional Centres. You will be the main contact for third party contractors, liaising with them and organising anything from ad hoc and emergency repairs to the facilities by an electrician, plumber or handy person, through to sorting out problems with the internet connection, ensuring proactive maintenance is carried out or that vehicle insurance claims are progressing.
You will also be responsible for managing FSUK’s contracts, from photocopiers to van insurance; maintaining records and liaising with team members to ensure everything from renewals to fixes happen promptly and effectively.
You will oversee the Health and Safety compliance within our London offices and the shared staff/volunteer facilities in the London locations.
The ideal candidate will have a positive can do attitude with practical and logical problem solving skills. They should be able to proactively identify how to make the work environment better and help everyone to do their jobs as well as possible.
They will be a superb communicator so that everyone will be understanding when things go wrong. Everyone will also understand that there is a collective responsibility for the spaces we occupy.
They will have excellent organisational skills and be process driven so that when something breaks, or someone needs something to support their work, they know the process to follow and, if appropriate, who to call.
They will have the people skills to turn low level of frustrations, which hinder productivity, into a positive experience. They will facilitate a culture of processes, proactive training to enable prevention of problems and planning ahead which is professional, cost effective and efficient.
- Ensure that the office, staff/volunteer areas of the premises and environment are safe, secure, suitably equipped and functioning to support all staff and volunteers to do their job.
- Ensure all office equipment is serviced and operating fully
- Manage and maintain all FSUK contracts
- Liaise and negotiate with contractors ensuring jobs are done well and at the right price
- Quality check work by contractors to ensure high standards
- Ensure contracted works come in on budget
- Ensure all internal resources are managed e.g. telephones and electricity supply
- Ensure the fabric of the London, Sheffield and FSUK Regional Centre offices are maintained
- Liaise with the landlords, as required, to resolve issues
- Manage the cleaning contracts in the London locations
- Liaise with alarm companies to ensure all alarms are serviced across the FSUK estate.
- Ensure equipment receives annual servicing as required, e.g. air conditioning units
- Liaise with the National H&S Manager to ensure PAT testing, Fixed Wire Testing is undertaken across the estate
- Organise annual Fire Risk Assessments and safety checks of extinguishers, emergency lighting and alarm equipment across the estate
- Keep a record of all office management related contracts, including renewal dates and costs
- Assist with the selection of new suppliers as required
- Ensure that the meeting rooms in the London offices are of a suitable standard for hosting internal and external meetings
Skills and experience
- Evidence of previous experience to indicate suitability against the job description.
- Demonstrable evidence of an organised approach to a heavy workload with a focus on proactive rather than a reactive working style.
- Ability to set and stick to priorities
- Excellent communication skills
- Good budgeting skills and appetite for delivering value for money
- Preparedness to roll sleeves up and get stuck in to solving problems
- Good IT skills and self-sufficient on all standard Microsoft systems
- An open mind and a can-do attitude
Essential Competencies and Behaviours
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Gravitas and credibility to deal with varying internal and external audiences
- An understanding of, and passion for, the mission and values of FareShare
- Able to demonstrate respect for work colleagues and FareShare beneficiaries
- A positive and “can-do” attitude
To register your interest in this role, please submit your CV, Cover Letter and Equal Opportunities form via our website.
Closing Date Monday 29th July 2019, midnight. Interviews will be held week commencing 5th August 2019.