FareShare is the UK’s national network of charitable food redistributors, made up of 18 independent organisations. Together, we take good quality surplus food from right across the food industry and get it to almost 10,000 frontline charities and community groups. During 2021, we redistributed 127 million meals, the equivalent of 4 meals every second through our FareShare Regional Centres and our retail surplus model FareShare Go, reaching over 1 million people.
FareShare exists because of two hugely important and highly topical issues. As a consequence of supply and demand, huge volumes of food are grown or made in the UK and a small percentage ends up as unwanted surplus with little commercial value. At the same time, there are many thousands of frontline community groups and charities that are providing a vital safety net for the most vulnerable in our society. We seek to squeeze as much social good out of that uneconomic surplus by getting it to almost 10,000 such groups across the UK whilst they provide essential wraparound support services for their beneficiaries.
The Cost of Living Crisis and before it, the COVID-19, have shone a spotlight on the issue of food insecurity in the UK and with it, FareShare’s ability to get food to vulnerable communities nationwide. It is estimated that over 4.7m UK households are now experiencing food insecurity and whilst the equivalent of 1.3bn meals of good surplus food occurs each year, FareShare believes that it is wrong for these two situations to co-exist.
To combat this, FareShare is moving into an ambitious 4 year programme to achieve unparalleled growth in both our food volumes as well as our fundraised income. We are driven by the opportunity to secure even more of the food available at farm gate, manufacturing and retail levels and to do this, we need to maximise our new groundswell of public support to generate the funds needed to operate at this greater scale.
There has never been a more exciting time to join a relevant organisation which delivers both social and environmental impact, at such a crucial time.
By joining us you would be leading some of our most important work in helping us generate more support from donors, corporate food and fundraising partners, foundations and volunteers as we strive in our ambition to meet the demand for food to support the UK’s most vulnerable.
FareShare’s Strategy & Vision
Vision: We have the vision of a UK where “No good food goes to waste”.
Mission: To use surplus, fit for consumption, food to feed those who are vulnerable in the UK by supporting front line charitable organisations that tackle the cause and not just the symptoms of food poverty.
Our Purpose: We are doers. We are a community. We change lives.
Passion – for our cause and the challenge that lies ahead
Ambition – to go the extra mile and drive the change that must happen
Respect – for ourselves, each other, our volunteers, our partners and our beneficiaries
Collaboration – it’s only by working with others that we can be stronger
Focus – on providing the best service possible so that we deliver and achieve the most for our clients and customer
We are looking for an enthusiastic and collaborative financial planning manager to join us at this time of growth. You will bring strong communication, analytical and systems skills, an open mind and a curious and innovative approach to our financial planning and reporting, focusing on system development, effective project management and empathetic communication with key stakeholders. You will have a desire and confidence to navigate through change.
This is an exciting time to be joining FareShare and the finance team as we continue our ambitious strategy to grow food volumes and income, and to develop long term sustainability. Your role will be pivotal working alongside Head of Finance and Director of Finance and Resources to deliver high quality financial planning to support the delivery of our strategy.
Main areas of responsibility
Planning, co-ordinating and managing the annual budgeting and quarterly forecasting processes in association with departmental colleagues and management to agreed timetables.
Production and ownership of appropriate models to support the budgeting and forecasting. Making recommendations for improvements to financial planning tools and methods used at FareShare
Planning and co-ordinating the medium-term financial planning process in support of the organisation’s strategic planning.
Supporting the growing Fundraising team to develop the financial modelling needed to support the income growth plans.
Producing monthly organisational management information reports.
Working closely with the business partners to provide high level analysis on the organisational financial performance.
Making improvements and developing management information and other financial reports in line with the changing organisational requirements and a number of new projects and initiatives being undertaken.
Leading on system development projects including the potential integration of financial systems with other operational systems used within FareShare. Making recommendations for finance system improvements and supporting the team with system related projects as and when required.
Providing project and business partnering support to various key stakeholders, as and when required, currently covering 3 regional centres. Some travel to the regional centres may be required.
Assisting the Head of Finance and Director of Finance and Resources with preparation of reports for the Senior Leadership Team and the Board of Trustees
Skills, experience and abilities
- CIMA/ACCA/ACA qualification or non-UK equivalent
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Experience of managing and developing the financial planning cycle in an organisation undergoing significant change and development; Excel advanced level skills and knowledge of various accounting systems;
- A good track record in financial management, systems development and process improvement.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to adapt style and approach to different audiences.
- Ability to build effective relationships across teams, ensuring staff are supported, motivated and challenged to achieve objectives, ability to influence change.
- Experience in designing processes and delivering solutions to drive improvements and efficiencies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Commercial financial management experience within the food industry or logistics industry.
- Experience of working in the third sector with a strong fundraising department
- . • Knowledge of Sharperlight reporting or utilising inbuilt reporting from financial systems
Values and behaviours
- Enthusiastic approach
- Ability to communicate to stakeholders clearly and succinctly
- Openness to change and ability to adapt • Flexibility and ability to work well as part of a team and alone
- A commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Curiosity and empathy with FareShare’s mission and strategy
- Salary £50,000 per annum
- Hybrid / Flexible working, with regular UK travel
- 25 days’ annual leave + 8 bank holidays
- Employers pension contribution
- Employee Assistance Program
- Interest free bicycle purchase loan scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Flexible working