FareShare is an award winning charity, we are the UK’s national network charitable food redistributors, made up of 18 independent organisations. Together, we take good quality surplus food from right across the food industry and get it to almost 11,000 frontline charities and community groups.
Hunger is a growing issue in the UK and while there is surplus food that is otherwise going to waste, we believe that this food should be used to feed people first.
The COVID19 pandemic has shone a spotlight on the issue of food insecurity in the UK and with it, FareShare’s ability to get food to vulnerable communities nationwide. We are fortunate to benefit from the support of major retailers, the media, sports ambassadors and a groundswell of public engagement. As a result, there has never been a more exciting time to join an organisation at the heart of public consciousness.
About the Role
We are looking for someone dynamic and engaging, with excellent communication and volunteer management skills, as well as a commitment to delivering a high quality service in line with our mission and core values. In addition, to working with the team in the FareShare Regional Centre you will also work closely with the FareShare UK Volunteering Team and use our internal volunteer management systems. You will work together to provide a consistent volunteer experience across the FareShare network, which is enjoyable, rewarding and safe for our volunteers.
You should be self-motivated, with experience of working within volunteer management and able to manage ad-hoc corporate groups, short term volunteering schemes as well as long-term and regular volunteers. Additionally, you should be able to deliver end to end volunteer recruitment activities and provide on-going supervision and support to volunteers, ensuring that their training needs are met. You should also be able to develop and deliver a range of local volunteer engagement activities. Furthermore you should have experience promoting and championing the role of volunteers, so that they are respected and valued for their contribution to the organisation.
The role is funded by the National Lottery Community Fund
- Volunteer recruitment
- Develop and implement a regional volunteer recruitment strategy that will deliver an extensive pool of diverse and engaged volunteers to ensure the operational needs of your FareShare Regional Centre are met in a timely manner.
- Recruit, build and maintain relationships with a wide range of regional volunteer sources, ensuring regular engagement leading to long term partnerships.
- Regular liaison with the FareShare UK Volunteering Team to capitalise on national initiatives.
- Volunteer engagement and communication strategies
- Develop and deliver a regional engagement programme that ensures all volunteers have a rewarding experience, whilst effectively contributing to FareShare’s overall development
- Promote volunteering, internally and externally in collaboration with the FareShare UK Volunteering Team, to ensure that the impact of volunteers is celebrated.
- Deliver the FareShare UK volunteer induction programme to maximise the engagement and contribution of each volunteer.
- Develop and deliver volunteer training, which ensures all volunteers are able to meet their potential and complete their volunteer roles effectively.
- Policies and procedures
- Implement volunteer management policies and procedures in line with guidance from the FareShare UK Volunteering Team.
- Develop new volunteering policies and procedures in collaboration with the FareShare UK Volunteering Team.
- Making FareShare a destination for volunteering
- Enhance the experience of volunteering at your FareShare Regional Centre by delivering robust policies, together with effective engagement and communication programmes, so that volunteers enjoy what they do and can feel proud of their contribution and become ambassadors.
- Liaise with FareShare UK Marketing & Volunteering Teams to promote and publicise case studies and examples of volunteer success stories.
- To engage with other FareShare Regional Centres and the FareShare UK Volunteering Team on a quarterly basis to deliver UK wide volunteering activity and share good practice.
- Work alongside the FareShare UK Volunteering Team to evaluate volunteer experience and establish annual benchmarks for the FareShare Network, including volunteer satisfaction, conversion, retention, training, etc. This will be used for development of recruitment and engagement strategies.
- Developing and delivering successful volunteer recruitment, training and engagement programmes.
- Building relationships with external organisations and associations to create and promote volunteering programmes.
- Managing projects and associated budgets.
- Monitoring and evaluation of volunteer programmes.
- Reporting on volunteer programme metrics
- Experience of working with volunteers / adults with additional support needs (Desirable).
- Experience of delivering effective marketing and communications campaigns (Desirable).
- Experience of using volunteer management systems (Desirable)
Skills and abilities
- Knowledge of the needs and experiences of volunteers from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Knowledge of volunteer management good practice
- Able to establish and maintain appropriate systems for the management and accurate recording of volunteer programmes.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to deal with people at all levels
- Proven ability to build successful, productive business relationships, both internal and external
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated with excellent team-working skills.
- Ability to use own initiative, working independently.
- Strong presentation skills to promote FareShare as a destination for volunteering.
- Good time management with ability to manage workloads, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- IT literacy, in particular of using Microsoft applications (Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint).
Values and behaviours
- A commitment to equal opportunities and safeguarding.
- An understanding of, and enthusiasm for, FareShare’s mission and strategy.
- A commitment to continuous professional development.
- An empathy with volunteers and an understanding of their needs.
- Flexible and non-judgemental approach to people and work.
- Willingness and ability to travel in the UK.
25 days’ annual leave + 8 bank holidays
Employers pension contribution of 4% Life assurance - group life scheme
Employee Assistance Program
Interest free bicycle purchase loan scheme
Season ticket loan